Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

0 members and 3,146 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

heating snake rack???

before I ask I want to say im really sorry if this is said somewhere but I couldn't find it if it is just post a link please.

ok to give you a general idea of what im wanting to heat I am planning on building a rack out of melamine wood (is that good???) it will be 4 shelves 3 tubs to a shelf (or maybe 3 shelves 4 tubs to a shelf whatever is easier to heat) the sides and back will be completely closed in the ventilation will be from hole in the tubs.... and the room for now I will not be able to heat with oil filled heater..... with all that being said my questions are:

1. what is the safest heat tape,matt etc. keep in mind I do have a electrical background lol

2. what type of t-stat is best to use with something like this im hoping to only have one t-stat to power the whole thing (if possible)

3. do I put the heat tape under the tub or attached to the back? Iv seen some talk about it on here but im still kinda wandering what would be best for the snake itself.

thank you in advance
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

Thanks
    Let's see if I can help you out with some points...
    Melamine wood is good if you are going to be sure that no water leaks, or that no humidity will be high enough in a specific area that it will distort the wood. Last thing you want is to have a deformed rack. You should also be careful while you'll build your rack, as you don't want to chip some parts, but that's not a major issue.
    Regarding the heat mat, get always certified heat mats that turn off rather than turn on (if they happen to have a problem) so it will not cause any major issue with overheating your snake, and remember never have power applied while it is rolled (even the smallest amount) or overlapping other element., it can cause your product to fail.
    For your heat tape, make sure always to aply it correctly (always when no tension is on, of course) and to change it when necessary.
    If you put the heat tape under the tub, it has a major surface of heating, making it possible to recieve belly heat for your snakes and to warm up the enviroment. If you put it on the back, it will heat up a smaller part of the surface.
    It's better if you decide based on how you are going to build your rack.
    I hope I helped a little

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: heating snake rack???

Quote Originally Posted by erebus45 View Post
    before I ask I want to say im really sorry if this is said somewhere but I couldn't find it if it is just post a link please.

I am planning on building a rack out of melamine wood (is that good???) it will be 4 questions are:

Melamine is perfectly fine, My rack is made out of melamine.

1. what is the safest heat tape,matt etc. keep in mind I do have a electrical background lol

I would suggest flexwatt for this, its cheap and reliable.

2. what type of t-stat is best to use with something like this im hoping to only have one t-stat to power the whole thing (if possible)

Go with a good quality T-Stat like a Vivarium Electronics or Herpstat. To power up the rack with only one thermostat you have two options, one is to make all the pieces identical (this is crucial) in length and wire them up individually and connect them all to a single power strip that will get connected to the thermostat. You can also get a single long piece of flexwatt tape and snake it around the different shelving.

3. do I put the heat tape under the tub or attached to the back? Iv seen some talk about it on here but im still kinda wandering what would be best for the snake itself.

This is personal opinion but I have belly heat. Belly heat helps with digestion.

thank you in advance
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo

Thanks

Re: heating snake rack???

rikoko, is their any pics of your rack that you could maybe post so I have a better idea of what im dealing with please and thank you.

eru_iluvatar, thank you for the info. I will be making it to where I can put the heating element under the tubs. it seems IMO that it is whats best for the snake (belly heat)
    Last edited by erebus45; 12-08-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Im at work now, but when I get home later on today ill post some up.
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo