Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

1 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Green Tree Python Water Set Up?

Hi to everyone!
    Yesterday in this video of Bryan Barkzyck I saw a set-up that I've never seen use before for green tree pythons: it's basically a box with a classic stick and water for substrate.

This is the link to the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcRNEm6eiA

Min: 8:10

What do you think about this set up?
    Have you ever used this for you GTP or know anyone that does?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    He has a later blog - from the next day or so, where he decides to change it back to water bowl and paper. The snakes dunked themselves while striking the pinkie. Brian decided that might interfere with the feed response (tricky with them anyway at that age, from what I've heard).
    Last edited by distaff; 12-03-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I didnt like the height of the box he used for the gtp. IMO that was just too short. I have seen a water based cage before. A matter of fact the GTP that I own came from a guy that kept him and a ETB is such a cage. The GTP came to me with an RI, but thats another story but the cage was a factor.

I didnt like that setup then and I still dont today. After owning my GTP I have learned things from him that tells me a water based cage is a terrible idea. My GTP comes down almost every night and crawls all around the cage floor. He will also sometimes coil on the floor and just relax a bit before morning when he takes back to the perches.

He also regularly swims in his water bowl. So I do think having a large water bowl is a good idea but not one that takes all the floor away. I also dont think a gtp is a bad swimmer. From what I have seen from mine he can swim just fine.

Now having a ETB as well I have been seeing very similar behavior from her. They may stayed perched most of the time but they do come down to the cage floor almost nightly. The only time mine usually dont is during a shed. At that point they dont move until the shed is complete.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

distaff (12-03-2016)

Thanks

Re: Green Tree Python Water Set Up?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    .... After owning my GTP I have learned things from him that tells me a water based cage is a terrible idea. My GTP comes down almost every night and crawls all around the cage floor. He will also sometimes coil on the floor and just relax a bit before morning when he takes back to the perches.
    Yup, mine exhibit the same behavior. Contrary to popular belief, GTPs do move around. They just don't do it during the day. One of mine can even somewhat regularly be found coiled up under the newspaper substrate. And always spends all of her pre-shed time there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Green Tree Python Water Set Up?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Yup, mine exhibit the same behavior. Contrary to popular belief, GTPs do move around. They just don't do it during the day. One of mine can even somewhat regularly be found coiled up under the newspaper substrate. And always spends all of her pre-shed time there.
    My GTP and ETB are by far my most active snakes. If they are not in shed they are on the move every night.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    I agree, a set-up like that is absolutely unnatural for a GTP, as you noticed they also use to move around the floor.
    Infact as Distaff said even the autor of the video decided to change the set-up.