Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,203

0 members and 1,203 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Warning About Reptile Basics and Other Heat Panels

The mechanical side definitely makes me feel a bit better. I would hope after 3 years my panels would continue working if it was just the way they were set up. Iirc when I bought mine it came with clear instructions and warranty outlines with the panels so clearly if those were not followed that could set you up for failure...

My tubs have THG but they are standalone and do not move unless I'm cleaning or rearranging so no chance of rubbing it bare.

I can see if I can dig up a BOI thread for that one review if anyone wants to see it. If there is one it may not be linked on the post but it may also not be hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I'm sorry but I seem to have missed this - what kind of thermostat are you using to control them?

Is it a dimmer or a pulse proportional or simply an on/ off.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Wow, this is concerning to say the least. All my electronic equipment is from RBI since they've always been highly regarded.

I have two VE thermoststs running my two 80 watt rhps. I sure can't afford to replace everything.

What does everyone suggest. I am very worried now about a possible fire.

I don't think calling RBI would be beneficial.

What is everyone else with their products plan to do?? Do we just hope are equipment doesnt fail??

Very concerned!!
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well how long have you had yours going? Personally, I would imagine that if it was as common as the OP has had problems(2/2 failures with the exact same symptoms), RBI would have to do something as i'm sure they sell a lot of them and if they all failed exactly like that, they could be open to a class action lawsuit especially if hundreds of peoples houses burnt down.

I honestly think the OP has some issue with his set up to cause an 80 watt and 120 watt to put out the same amount of heat that he claims and warp exactly the same. To me it sounds like he had something under the RHP which was causing it to overheat and this warp and pop the fuse. But without details from the OP, its only guesses.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

I have two 80watt reptile basics rhp hooked to 2 ve-200 t-stats that iv been using in my t8's one of which iv had for about 6 month the other iv had running for about 3 weeks and both are doing just fine holding very consistent temps. the only thing I have below the panel is a water dish and one of those half log hides but their is more than 6'' gap for air (trust me I measured lol)

I would love to see a pic of the set-up the OP had his panels in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well how long have you had yours going? Personally, I would imagine that if it was as common as the OP has had problems(2/2 failures with the exact same symptoms), RBI would have to do something as i'm sure they sell a lot of them and if they all failed exactly like that, they could be open to a class action lawsuit especially if hundreds of peoples houses burnt down.

I honestly think the OP has some issue with his set up to cause an 80 watt and 120 watt to put out the same amount of heat that he claims and warp exactly the same. To me it sounds like he had something under the RHP which was causing it to overheat and this warp and pop the fuse. But without details from the OP, its only guesses.
    Im feeling the same.

Id like to know more about how the OP actually had the RHPs set up. Something seems off. I know anything can have a problem and fail but if this was as large an issue as the OP is making it out to be I would have seen plenty of others saying the same thing by now.

My GTP cage has a RHP similar to that of the Reptile Basics with the plastic rim. I have had it since aprox June 2012. Since then it has been running non stop with no issues. I constantly check the hotspot it creates and the temp the panel reaches and it is always within a range Im used to seeing it.

I will say that I do like the look and thinness of the ProProduct RHPs I have in my large cage. Not that I dislike the other.

My newly ordered ETB cage is the same as my GTP just larger and I hope it serves me as well as the cage I have has.

Feels more like the OP just needed to vent. I don't see why they took the time to answer some of the profile questions, make that post, and then leave. I wonder if we will get an update about the ordered ProProducts RHPs from them.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

My two setups have been running without any issues for7 months.

I've reached out to Rich with RBI to discuss this. Hopefully he can relieve my anxiety over this.

I've always used RBI products with no issues and alwsys got great customer service from them.

I was shocked when i read this thread. Was up all night with worry- not a fun night. I don't gave the fund to simply replace all my equipment right now
    L. West

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I was shocked when i read this thread. Was up all night with worry- not a fun night. I don't gave the fund to simply replace all my equipment right now
    I would not worry.
    Personally without any response from the OP regarding their setup and the fact that it has happened to them back to back I would more suspect installer error....

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

BPGator (11-30-2016),CloudtheBoa (11-30-2016),L.West (11-30-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-30-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I found it interesting that the this was the OP's first post on this forum and since he has not come back to answer any question or even logged on
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I emailed RBI and got a very fast response as I've always gotten.

They assured me that there is no known defect with their products.

So, I won't try to fix what isn't broken at this point.
    L. West

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast