Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

1 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Need advice on restraining rat

(Let me start out by saying that I'm not sure what forum this should go in. I figured people that work with rats would know best)
    So through a string of events, I acquired a rat that is too mean to be a breeder anymore. It's a large white male, no unique markings or anything. It was given to me by someone else who got it from someone else to feed off to my retic.
    Well I don't feed live, so that wasn't going to happen. And also, this rat was in terrible shape. I honestly thought it was dead when i first saw it. I WAS NOT going to put that thing into one of my snakes. I'd probably end up with a dead snake lol
    Well, things happened and I have a stupid soft jelly heart and now I also have a mean as heck pet rat. (His name is immortan Joe, from mad max)
    I've had rats back in the past, but it's been about 8+ years. I figure I'm just going to give him the best life I can till he keels over. He's slowly getting to the point where he takes food from me. (You have to remember, this was a breeder. He's never had any contact with humans)
    The problem I'm having is he has a very bad eye. I'm not sure if it was from a female bite or what, but it's pretty sick. I have medication I can put on it to help it, but the problem is, he won't let me get near it.
    Let me stress that the only rats I have ever owned were sweet pet rats that loved people. This rat might as well be a different species all together. He is mean as he can be. I get it, he has just never been worked with or even touched. I'm not blaming him.
    I went in the other day with gloves to try to grab him to get something on his eye, and we'll just say it did not go well.

I could really use some tips here from people. What is the best way to restrain a rat? Any advice you all can give me would be fantastic. I just need to get some antibiotic on this eye before it gets any worse

Thanks
    This is the poor demon basted lol

Edit: I would like to stress that the other eye is fine, and he's fat and happy. He eats and drinks and is living a good life now. I just want to get this eye fixed up now
    Last edited by damein; 11-13-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I think I would get a helper with this one. Id put on some thick leather work gloves to hold the demon rat while my helper medicated the eye.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

damein (11-13-2016),Reinz (11-13-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Good luck trying that by yourself!

When I used to feed live I could rarely pick up or present the rat without getting bitten.

I'd go with KMG's advice for sure.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I cull rats that are mean, so all my colony rats(regardless of handling) are super nice.

I would get a antibiotic you can mix with food and just go with that. Putting anything on that eye will be nearly impossible, imo.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

damein (11-13-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (11-13-2016)

Thanks

Re: Need advice on restraining rat

Any advice on an antibiotic I can mix into food? (Something I wouldnt have to go to the vet for maybe?)
    I was doing the ointment because it's what I had left over from a similar injury in my other animals. I'm willing to try anything for sure!