Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

2 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Can't create a proper heat gradient

Hello,
    I'm planning on getting my first ball python very soon, the only problem I have been having is with heat. I have a 12 by 24 inch piece of heat tape hooked up to a thermostat on one side of my cage (which is 4x2). The heat on the hot side directly over the heat tape is fine but as soon as I measure the temperature past it with my temp gun, it falls to the low 70s and high 60s, which is far too cold for my ball python. All the care guides I have read have said that just having the UTH on one side will be enough to create a proper gradient.

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    A uth does very little for the air temps and it only heats the area it is covering. With surface temps in the 60s it seems like you may need to add another heat source.

Is this a glass tank?
    Last edited by KMG; 11-13-2016 at 01:06 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Can't create a proper heat gradient

It's a PVC enclosure, I've got a space heater in my room to raise ambient temperature but the problem is the ground temperature being too cold. The UTH does not seem to affect the rest of the cages floor at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DXter View Post
    It's a PVC enclosure, I've got a space heater in my room to raise ambient temperature but the problem is the ground temperature being too cold. The UTH does not seem to affect the rest of the cages floor at all.
    It shouldn't. They heat the are just above them and since they are controlled and not pumping a lot of heat they do not heat the entire cage floor.

I have seen some people with cold surface temps use a uth on each side of their cage. One running as a hotspot at 88-90 and the other running just to keep the temps good around 80.

Another thing that may help is changing what the cage is resting on. As in, if the cage is resting on a cold tile floor moving it to a wooden dresser or table may help raise the surface temps. Also maybe placing a piece or cardboard or other like material under the cage can help insulate the cage floor to keep the cold air in the room from cooling the cage by cooling in the gap.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that insulating idea and see how that fares and then if not I'll get another UTH.

Thanks again.

Thanks

I would try a radiant heat panel. I have one in my 4*2 wood cage. Keeps it nice and warm. I don't bother with heat tape once you hit that size enclosure. Also i find the heat doesn't penetrate the pvc too well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexio For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (11-13-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts

If the ambient in the room is low then heat tape for a hot spot + an RHP to help bump up the air ambient may be the way to go. I have both in a arboreal setup in my office because that room runs a lot cooler than my snake room.

Thanks

With the RHP, you can most likely ditch the space heater too (assuming the only reason you're using it is for the snake). My basement runs in the high 60s, but i have 88W RHP in my T8 cages as the only heat source. Heats ground and air just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Can't create a proper heat gradient

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    With the RHP, you can most likely ditch the space heater too (assuming the only reason you're using it is for the snake). My basement runs in the high 60s, but i have 88W RHP in my T8 cages as the only heat source. Heats ground and air just fine.

What do your warm and cool sides read? I woke up today and it was 67 in my apt and my two T8s with 65watt pro heat panels had acurites reading at 96warm 72cool for the top cage and 88warm and 73cool bottom cage. Not thrilled with the extreme temp range in the BP cage up top. If I set the bottom panel any lower the retic will be a bit cooler than is ideal but I worry I'm getting the BP too warm on the warm side. I have a 1/2"-3/4" gap between the two cages that takes care of some of the heat transference.

Last edited by jmcrook; 11-13-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    What do your warm and cool sides read? I woke up today and it was 67 in my apt and my two T8s with 65watt pro heat panels had acurites reading at 96warm 72cool for the top cage and 88warm and 73cool bottom cage. Not thrilled with the extreme temp range in the BP cage up top. If I set the bottom panel any lower the retic will be a bit cooler than is ideal but I worry I'm getting the BP too warm on the warm side. I have a 1/2"-3/4" gap between the two cages that takes care of some of the heat transference.

I am still working on insulating my top cage from the lower one. I get a similar problem from the RHP on the lower cage heating the floor of the top cage. I put a piece of foam between them recently - I'll let you mow how that works.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-13-2016)