Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

1 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: First time Carpet owner, just have a few questions!

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    The mice fuzzys aren't really that big. According to the Big Cheese website they're 7-12g. Here's a good reference for prey sizes.

Nice idea ... Pity a couple of them look to be out of order as the black colouration makes them 'appear' smaller than they are though ...

Thanks

That is him next to a "fuzzy" mouse. which is about 2 inches long and about half and inch to an inch in girth.

Today is feeding week number 3, third attempt. He seems to be quite a bit more active this week than any previous, and also seems more interested in the live prey than the frozen. but it has almost been 10 minutes and he has not taken the mouse. once it hits about 10 minutes ill take the mouse out and i will have to try again next week. after next weeks feeding it will be over a month since he has eaten. Im getting a bit more worried at this point. When should i look into assisted feeding or going to my local herp vet?
    1.0 Spider Ball Python (Abacus)
    1.0 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python (Dingo)
    1.0 Hypo Bearded Dragon (Django)
    1.1 Crested Geckos (Luna, Sol)
    0.1 Jungle Runner (Monte, Green Ameiva)
    0.1 Dog (Daisy, Blue Heeler/Border Collie Mix)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DingoJungleJag View Post

That is him next to a "fuzzy" mouse. which is about 2 inches long and about half and inch to an inch in girth.

Today is feeding week number 3, third attempt. He seems to be quite a bit more active this week than any previous, and also seems more interested in the live prey than the frozen. but it has almost been 10 minutes and he has not taken the mouse. once it hits about 10 minutes ill take the mouse out and i will have to try again next week. after next weeks feeding it will be over a month since he has eaten. Im getting a bit more worried at this point. When should i look into assisted feeding or going to my local herp vet?
    Hi .. First thoughts are to feed on some card or a plate if you get it drop-feeding ... rather than straight off the substrates when there's a very real chance of impaction .

Secondly offer the mouse WARM using tongs , if it doesn't take it then you warm it up again using a hairdryer then offer it again instantly , repeat this procedure as many times as it takes .

Also just wondering about the size of mouse you've offered . As the one in the photo looks a tad wide compared to the width of the snake !??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

So the mouse is live, should i still take a hair dryer to it?

Also, this is the mouse i was recommended to feed to him. it is a little less then double the width of Dingo.

I have not tried feeding him outside of his enclosure yet.

Thanks

First time Carpet owner, just have a few questions!

So the mouse is live, should i still take a hair dryer to it?

Also, this is the mouse i was recommended to feed to him. it is a little less then double the width of Dingo.

I have not tried feeding him outside of his enclosure yet.
    Fair enough , I know they CAN eat bigger items than we think .. and no there's no need to warm up LIVE offerings just the defrosted ones ..

I wouldn't even consider feeding in a separate enclosure !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-22-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

It's not old enough to harm your snake so no need to supervise. Turn the lights out, shut the door, leave them alone until morning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

BPGator (11-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if the shed last week was his first and this boy hasn't even eaten yet. I've noticed that my hatchling carpets are triggered strongest by movement. This is why hopper mice are often a successful prey item to get them started - they're one of the more active alternatives. I also have better luck getting them feeding in smaller spaces. The downside of the 10 gallon is that you can drop a prey item in there and if the snake isn't actively hunting, they might never cross paths in the allotted time. Hopefully he eats the fuzzy over night but if not, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions that have worked for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (11-23-2016)

Thanks

I'd also leave it in overnight - some snakes, especially youngsters, are more shy about eating than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    So after about 6 weeks since I got dingo here......

HE ATE!!!!!

He ate a f/t rat pinkie (thank God he went for the rat first)

Zincubus method worked. I put him in a little critter keeper, and warmed up the pinkie with the hair dryer. First attempt he didn't want it, so I warmed it up again and he immediately took to it and is now putting it down.

I am so excited you have no idea (well I'm sure some of you do). Now to get him eating consistently.

I will post a picture as soon as I get to my computer

Thanks

So after about 6 weeks since I got dingo here......

HE ATE!!!!!

He ate a f/t rat pinkie (thank God he went for the rat first)

Zincubus method worked. I put him in a little critter keeper, and warmed up the pinkie with the hair dryer. First attempt he didn't want it, so I warmed it up again and he immediately took to it and is now putting it down.

I am so excited you have no idea (well I'm sure some of you do). Now to get him eating consistently.

I will post a picture as soon as I get to my computer
    That's great news !!

Now you 'know' the hairdryer method works you'll be confident next time rather than apprehensive . ..

Congrats !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234