Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,148

2 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Mine

Thanks

Not Mine

Just based on the information I got:

New Corn snake. Not eating. Hasn't pooped yet. And dark spots on the belly.

She thinks her corn is constipated. So I want to ask. Can you see dark spots when a snake is constipated? Or could this be a bigger issue?

Herp Derp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How old is it, where are the dark spots located, what morph is the snake? If it's not eating, constipation is unlikely to be an issue. Does it look bloated for the last half of it's body?

Thanks

Re: Not Mine

I quote:

"Main reason I think of constipation is actually it's consistently the thing that came up when I did searches on it (plus the fact that they haven't pooped yet since I got them). Lol I did a quick look over and the spots aren't lumpy but one does seem to have shrank a bit. Also two of the spots were towards the end of the gut region.
    Also I've heard corns were supposed to be pigs but I either have a ridiculously picky eater on my hands or something is up. I did a warm bath earlier this week and I'm planning to do one again later today.
    I'm not 100% on the morph I've been told red albino and candy cane albino as possible colorations. The dark marks are darker than any of the markings and along the gut/belly region."

Herp Derp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritserpents View Post
    How old is it, where are the dark spots located, what morph is the snake? If it's not eating, constipation is unlikely to be an issue. Does it look bloated for the last half of it's body?
    Not sure but was purchased in October, so probably still considered a hatchling?

From what I was told in a previous message, the corn ate before being purchased. I asked about husbandry and they said they struggle with humidity but temperatures are in the 70-80 range.

Could it be stress induced? But then what about the discolorations?

Herp Derp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hot side should be 85, cool side 75. Use UTH with thermost. Check temps on the glass. Humidity 40-50%. Provide a humid hide (wet and wrung out sphagnum moss in a hide on warm side) for humidity boost when in blue. Corns don't require heat lamps if UTH is properly set. Belly heat is best for corns. If your room is too cold to keep cool side at 75, use a second UTH and thermostat set to 75 on the cool side. Continue to use aspen bedding so snake can tunnel and thermoregulate. Corns love to tunnel. If you can add suction cups to hold vines, corns also love to climb and cruise through vines. Try for 2 identical hides that are just large enough to cover the coiled snake securely, closed except for one opening so snake doesn't have to choose between heat or security. Your corn looks to be amelanistic with something else, probably a candy cane . I'm not good with morphs, sorry. If your corn is young and very light, the darkness on the belly could actually be the snake's internal organs or even its poop inside it's intestines. A belly picture would very helpful to see dark area and any swelling. If a corn is too cold, it will often not eat and it will get backed up because there isn't enough belly heat to move things along inside. Provide a water dish large enough for the snake to soak itself. If it is constipated, proper temps will probably take care of it, and it may soak in the water (place water closer to warm side to aid bowel movement) or even go to the bathroom in the water bowl. I've got 7 corns, yearling through 10 years old, in addition to my bps and Rosie's. Here's hoping he's fine very soon. May I suggest http://www.cornsnakes.com as a great place for more help and suppprt. The people there are really wonderful and supportive. Please keep me posted.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-05-2016),KingWheatley (11-07-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-07-2016),wolfy-hound (11-05-2016)

Thanks

Herp Derp

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So is this animal one of your friend's or you just find people with issues online and come here to find answers?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    So is this animal one of your friend's or you just find people with issues online and come here to find answers?
    I can't have online friends?

This is the first person who's been online who I've asked for, though. Other person I've asked for was my roommate who sometimes I wish was just online and not actually living with me [nudge nudge wink wonk]

Herp Derp

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    I can't have online friends?

This is the first person who's been online who I've asked for, though. Other person I've asked for was my roommate who sometimes I wish was just online and not actually living with me [nudge nudge wink wonk]

Herp Derp
    You can have real friends, online friends, imaginary friends, I don't see any issue with that, I just don't get why you did not tell your online friend to simply join a forum (any forum) and ask for help.

Personally when I have zero experience on a subject I would rather tell people to find a forum and ask than spoon feed and regurgitate something based on other people's experience.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-07-2016),KingWheatley (11-08-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-08-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You can have real friends, online friends, imaginary friends, I don't see any issue with that, I just don't get why you did not tell your online friend to simply join a forum (any forum) and ask for help.

Personally when I have zero experience on a subject I would rather tell people to find a forum and ask than spoon feed and regurgitate something based on other people's experience.
    I gave them the link. They chose not to come. I gave them the link to the cornsnake forum. Still nothing.

I just have what information I could thanks to this thread and left it alone. There's nothing wrong with that. But I DID try.

I was trying to be helpful. I'm sorry if that annoyed anyone...

Herp Derp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast