Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,469

1 members and 3,468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

The breeding jouney so far.

Well i got my breeding process all set up for now till i find out if i need to go bigger. I got 1 male and two females i have had them together in same cage for 4 days now and so far their has been no fighting at all. At first i had a wheel in their then i seen someone post to have no wheel because it will distract them from breeding so i took it out (is that really the best thing to do?). I have only one hide and of cource a water bottle oh and the cages i have i bought from petco i will post pics soon. Now all i have to do is wait and see what happens and hopefully i have some little ones here here soon. any questions or comment or advice is always appreciated, Thank you.

Thanks

Re: The breeding jouney so far.

Are cages from petco cheaper &/or better than 5 gallon buckets? In the area where I live brand new buckets are $3 and only $1 at garage sales. Also, are you starting out with females which aren't pregnant? Coming across feeder mice which are already pregnant doesn't seem to be all that difficult, at least in my area.

Thanks
    make sure you have an extra cage or two for separating the males from the females and possibly a grow out tank for the juvenile mice. You are going to have babies soon enough, how many you need is going to be something to consider since they can breed right after giving birth. I never like to house my rodents alone in a cage so i would possibly consider getting another male as a companion for when their not breeding, make sure they get along though.

Thanks

I went ahead and bought 3 cages they were on sale for very cheap and yes females are not pregnant I only have two options on getting mice and that's petco (fancy mice) and local pet store(white feeder mice) I went with the fancy mice i don't know why I figured either or would work good.... I tried having two males but all they did was fight so I feed both off and went with just one.... Thank you

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I tried having two males but all they did was fight so I feed both off and went with just one.... Thank you
    The only way you can have male together is when they are raised together (siblings or males from another litter raised together), putting 2 mature adult males that have never been together or were introduced to females, or putting 2 males in with females will always lead to the demised of one of the males.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (11-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The only way you can have male together is when they are raised together (siblings or males from another litter raised together), putting 2 mature adult males that have never been together or were introduced to females, or putting 2 males in with females will always lead to the demised of one of the males.
    You never ever cohabitate except for. Feeding purposes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

iv got a question. will mice "do to deed" when the female is only in heat(i think that is the right word for it) or will it happen even if the female is not. the reason im asking is i got a another pair of breeders same set up 1 male 2 females and their is just nothing happening. their not fighting or anything now with my other set of breeders it seems like its ALL THE TIME he will literally get something to eat drink a little water and get back at it. i am working 3rd shift my wife is the one that watches them and tell me everything they do lol (she has them all named already)... any help is always appreciated thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    well as it turned out they were sexed wrong in the first place (petco) because when i thought i had 2 females and one male i started paying attention and i noticed he only mated with one of the females and not the other so i got a closer look at the other "female" and come to realized she was really a he...thats when i said ok im starting over and im going with white feeders from my local trusted petstore.... now im just waiting on one of my females to get pregnant... hopefully its after i get the rack build.

Thanks

Well it's been well over a week and no signs of anything yet... Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but I'm still waiting patiently...thank you

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

Registered User AdrianAlexander's Avatar
    Thanks

My starter colony took two months to finally start breeding. I know that's not super uplifting, but give them time and they'll start reproducing. It helps to have one male to three or so females. Worked like a charm for mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast