Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

1 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: The breeding jouney so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlexander View Post
    My starter colony took two months to finally start breeding. I know that's not super uplifting, but give them time and they'll start reproducing. It helps to have one male to three or so females. Worked like a charm for mine.
    I currently have 1 male and two females together. I ordered some tubs from vision when I get them I am going to build a rack for them I hear they do better in tubs so im going to give it a try.....one month seems long but it will be worth the wait. if I don't get anything but then what should I do then?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

would this be ok? if not what would be the best choice for a low price. thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erebus45 View Post
    ... I ordered some tubs from vision when I get them I am going to build a rack for them I hear they do better in tubs so im going to give it a try...
    Quote Originally Posted by erebus45 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

would this be ok? if not what would be the best choice for a low price. thank you
    Are you trying to economize on enclosures or just on food? What makes you think "they do better in tubs"? More are bred in tubs vs other types of enclosures but that doesn't make them any more effective than your 3 cages from PetCo. They are bred in tubs for much the same reason that snakes are bred in racks, i.e. a better ratio of surface area to height, whereas other types of enclosures are 2 or even 3 times the height. So more animals can fit into the same room(s).

If you are looking for feed of "the best choice for a low price" regardless of convenience then look no further than your local grocery outlets. In our area a 3 pound bag of sweet potatoes goes for $0.99. You only have a few rodents at the moment am I right? That $0.99 bag of sweet potatoes will last so long that it will spoil before you could finish it. White potatoes are even cheaper but not as nutritional. We feed different types of cooked unrefined whole starch foods, e.g. corn and popcorn, oatmeal, brown rice, and the sweet/potatoes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macropodus View Post
    Are you trying to economize on enclosures or just on food? What makes you think "they do better in tubs"? More are bred in tubs vs other types of enclosures but that doesn't make them any more effective than your 3 cages from PetCo. They are bred in tubs for much the same reason that snakes are bred in racks, i.e. a better ratio of surface area to height, whereas other types of enclosures are 2 or even 3 times the height. So more animals can fit into the same room(s).

If you are looking for feed of "the best choice for a low price" regardless of convenience then look no further than your local grocery outlets. In our area a 3 pound bag of sweet potatoes goes for $0.99. You only have a few rodents at the moment am I right? That $0.99 bag of sweet potatoes will last so long that it will spoil before you could finish it. White potatoes are even cheaper but not as nutritional. We feed different types of cooked unrefined whole starch foods, e.g. corn and popcorn, oatmeal, brown rice, and the sweet/potatoes.
    Well as for tubs it's more of space saving and by better breeding I mean (please correctly if I'm wrong here Cuz I am new to all this) tubs will offer a little more heat due to a better closed in space rather than the wire all open cage cuz my house gets pretty cold in the winter.... And with the food I want what's best I'm confused... First I hear on some sites that the more protein is no good then I hear you want more protein.... I want some sort of block so I can just feed from above like you see in most racks... If any of my thinking on this is wrong please correctly me....thank you

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

Thanks

Well still nothing going on with them as all I'm wandering is I should separate him from the 2 females for a couple days but not sure

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp - 2015 - Erebus
    1.0 bci hypo motley het albino - 2016 - Aether
    0.1 bci hypo het albino - 2016 - Nyx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12