Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

3 members and 3,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
    GSDs aren't meant to be large dogs. Females should fall between 48 and 70 lbs as full grown adults and should be between 21 1/2 and 23 1/2 inches at the top of the shoulders. This girl is in my guy's pedigree:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...-buckower-feld

See. She's barely even up to the guys knees and skiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. This dog is in ideal physical condition. GSDs are also a slow to mature breed, they are often skinny minis until 3 years. It takes them a long time to fully fill out.

Americans are really used to seeing fat dogs

Also GSDs have notoriously sensitive digestive systems. Very very common in the breed.
    Lol, so true about being used to seeing fat dogs. Labs around here are fat as all heck, though I've heard there's a reason for them overeating so often or whatever?
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    Good idea. I'll throw that suggestion out there as well. He thinks cats are mean though.

Herp Derp
    Cat's aren't mean. 😣 Look at that vicious beast.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-02-2016),KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Cat's aren't mean. Look at that vicious beast.

(Oh my god I'm crying right now)

here's an ex little viscous beast of mine... I couldn't convince him before that cats aren't mean, but hopefully with repetition he will get it? Lol

[edit: WAIT... I found another photo...]

Herp Derp
    Last edited by KingWheatley; 11-01-2016 at 04:42 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingWheatley For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-02-2016),Fraido (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post

(Oh my god I'm crying right now)

here's an ex little viscous beast of mine... I couldn't convince him before that cats aren't mean, but hopefully with repetition he will get it? Lol

Herp Derp
    If this doesn't scream "NOT MEAN, CUDDLY," I don't know what does! 😂
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-02-2016),KingWheatley (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    American dogs are so unhealthy, bothers me a lot but oh well.

When it comes down to dogs, and especially puppies, its just exercise. I have a 3 year old game bred pit-bull, all that dog does is run around and play. If you or the owners don't have time to exercise the dog, it needs to be re homed. I can see from the picture that the dog is an American or field type lab, they're bred for hunting, that's not a calm family dog, if you think the behavior is destructive now, without proper exercise, its only going to get worse.

Sad that the person paid top-dollar for a dog and it isn't even being used for what it was bred for.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016),wolfy-hound (11-02-2016)

Thanks

I have a Lab who has just had his second birthday, He has never ripped anything up or really misbehaved at all but he gets 2 long walks a day and plays with my girls when they are at home, As labs are a working dog he needs lots of exercise as they do become destructive due to boredom and way to much energy.
    As I said my lab is 2 and he still occasionally jumps up at people this is a lab thing they do slowly grow out of it but you do need to be firm with them as they will respect you more.
    Also they are a family dog that needs people with them as much as possible if he is alone 75% of the time he may be bored.

When he has settled down you will not have a better friend in the world.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russdent For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    American dogs are so unhealthy, bothers me a lot but oh well.

When it comes down to dogs, and especially puppies, its just exercise. I have a 3 year old game bred pit-bull, all that dog does is run around and play. If you or the owners don't have time to exercise the dog, it needs to be re homed. I can see from the picture that the dog is an American or field type lab, they're bred for hunting, that's not a calm family dog, if you think the behavior is destructive now, without proper exercise, its only going to get worse.

Sad that the person paid top-dollar for a dog and it isn't even being used for what it was bred for.
    Agreed. Though I am helping with raising the dog as much as I can, I can't be the only one, especially since I work nights and sleep during the day.

Herp Derp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russdent View Post
    I have a Lab who has just had his second birthday, He has never ripped anything up or really misbehaved at all but he gets 2 long walks a day and plays with my girls when they are at home, As labs are a working dog he needs lots of exercise as they do become destructive due to boredom and way to much energy.
    As I said my lab is 2 and he still occasionally jumps up at people this is a lab thing they do slowly grow out of it but you do need to be firm with them as they will respect you more.
    Also they are a family dog that needs people with them as much as possible if he is alone 75% of the time he may be bored.

When he has settled down you will not have a better friend in the world.
    No joke. He's a people pleaser for sure. Loves love so much I'm surprised he doesn't pee himself with someone pets him. Lol

Herp Derp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Lol, so true about being used to seeing fat dogs. Labs around here are fat as all heck, though I've heard there's a reason for them overeating so often or whatever?
    Yes. Labs are prone to weight gain for a reason - duck hunting and fishing duties. Dog's that could keep an extra layer of fat on themselves stayed warmer in the cold water. Lot's of the water breeds tend to be chunky monkeys.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voodoolamb For This Useful Post:

Fraido (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Dogs

Although I agree with many of the statements above, the dog needs exercise and needs to be crate trained ect. There are some other things that need to be done and some that are just that breed of dog. Before anyone says anything, yes I do train field dogs. Have trained labs in the past but my new passion is German shorthairs. I actually have two I am currently working with that are field trained bird dogs.

Shorthairs red are infamous for being counter surfers and to find one that isn't is the exception to the rule. Can this behavior be broke, absolutely, but it requires a lot of training and commitment by the owner. A dog trainer can start the process, but the owner needs to continue to train the dog or all is for nothing.

labs on the other hand are very mouthy dogs. They are chewers. Although that dog looks like a field bred dog to some people, I seriously doubt it unless it was purchased as a field dog. 90% of the labs today are not from strong hunting lines, although there are a few good breeders out there still who produce great field labs. Most are not though. IMO if that dog is to be kept walks are not needed as previously posted by someone. What that dog needs to do is run and swim. If there is not enough time for such things then find a way it can burn off energy fast.

My my suggestion is to teach it to play frizbee. Frizbee can burn out energy like nothing else. Twice a day for 15-20 minutes and that dog will be wore out. Here's the catch, like anything else, the more you play the more stamina the dog will have and it will be able to play longer and longer. You need to work on house training the dog when it is tired from activity. Labs get tired fast, but recoup energy fast. Also, get the black cong toys and fill them with peanut butter and freeze them. The dog will sit and play with the thing for a few hrs at a time. Gives it something to do.

Want to to see a dog that does not tire fast get a shorthair. I have one that I can hunt for 4 hrs in the morning, 4 hrs in the afternoon and she wants to come home and play with my kids, but they are not chewers like labs.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bcycling For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks

When my Leo was small small up until about 6 months old he used to pee himself when we come home, Never told him off he just loved everyone to much. Now he just gives us one of his toys when we get in.

I did see another user say about only telling him off when you catch him doing something naughty and not after you have got home, If you tell him off later on after he has finished being naughty he will never know why you are shouting at him and just think you are in a mood.

A lot of dog training is common sense its just knowing where, when and how and even more training is needed by us as the owner and not the dog, My dog is nowhere near perfect he has his bad days but he is good enough for us and does not cause any trouble to anyone.

Just try to exercise him as much as possible as they are big working dogs that love to see there owner happy and love to have company. You cant go wrong with a lab for friendliness and being art of the family.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Russdent For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast