Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

0 members and 3,310 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help with Lab Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    If that's the case I recommend rehoming ...
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
    ...Doesn't sound like a dog is a good fit for this living situation...
    Social animals that they are, and I don't disagree with you. He got the dog for his daughter, who just simply wanted a pet to have and make her dad do all the work of caretaking....

I'll see if I can encourage him to rehome. He's a pure bred Lab in an area where they are common... And since he paid top-dollar for this pup, I would think that's what he'd expect back.

Any dog breeds you might recommend that I could use as alternative suggestions for him?

Herp Derp

Thanks

At this time, none, honestly. I think he should rehome and hold off getting a dog until he has the time to properly train and exercise one.

Tell him to get a cat.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fraido; 11-01-2016 at 04:01 AM.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-02-2016),GoingPostal (11-01-2016),PappyG (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016),rabernet (11-02-2016),voodoolamb (11-01-2016),wolfy-hound (11-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    But I have problems with recommending a new and inexperienced dog owner to go for crates because more often then not I see things like this:

(That is a pure bred (no papers, but confirmed parents were both sheps )German shepherd. I asked the owner why she was so thin, and his response was because she was a runt. He opened the cage and she made a bee line for the nearest dog bowl, then started complaining about how badly behaved she was. Jumping up on counters, stealing other dog's food. I observed him giving her food... just a cup's worth. A single. Cup. I asked him how often she gets fed. "Just once a day." Told me she gets diarrhea frequently so feeding her too much makes her sick.)

But I'll see what I can do...

Herp Derp
    About this, that's how I would expect a crate to look, add in a toy of some sort. The dog doesn't look too thin, and that's about what my dog eats, I fill her bowl (about two cups) and she doesn't finish it off until a couple days later, and feeding once a day is fine. I free feed because my dog doesn't overeat.

As long as the dog does come out, and is getting appropriate exercise, it's okay.
    Last edited by Fraido; 11-01-2016 at 04:07 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Ogre (12-26-2016),voodoolamb (11-01-2016)

Thanks

Help with Lab Puppy

Those pics aren't great, but from what I can see, that is a healthy weight for a young female shepherd. They should be lean and mean. Out line of the last 2 ribs visible and the rest easily felt.

The behavior has nothing to do with the crate. It's a lack of training.
    The photos were discreet and quick photos. She's very tiny, too thin, and not only could you see all her ribs, but her hip bones as well. And that's even through the fur. She's 2 years old. Her behavior reminds me of someone desperately grabbing at every chance for food one can get.

(Add the diarrhea... pretty sure that's a fair sign of malnourishment or possibly gobbling what food she got down too quickly. I didn't even bother checking for dehydration.)

It appeared to me she was starving,I talked to the owner's wife (who is a work friend) after and asked her to at LEAST give her a full bowl full once a day, if not twice a day.

She was also in the crate 100% of the time. When not going to the bathroom.

I don't want to get too much more into this because it makes me upset thinking about it, but since then she's gained weight. Though she's still in the crate all the time... but baby steps...

Herp Derp
    Last edited by KingWheatley; 11-01-2016 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks

About this, that's how I would expect a crate to look, add in a toy of some sort. The dog doesn't look too thin, and that's about what my dog eats, I fill her bowl (about two cups) and she doesn't finish it off until a couple days later, and feeding once a day is fine. I free feed because my dog doesn't overeat.

As long as the dog does come out, and is getting appropriate exercise, it's okay.
    Then it's possible that it's dehydration coupled with the fact there is an underlying issue that's causing her to pass her food?

Regardless, that dog needs better care.

Herp Derp

Thanks

The photos were discreet and quick photos. She's very tiny, too thin, and not only could you see all her ribs, but her hip bones as well. And that's even through the fur. She's 2 years old. Her behavior reminds me of someone desperately grabbing at every chance for food one can get.

It appeared to me she was starving. I talked to the owner's wife (who is a work friend) after and asked her to at LEAST give her a full bowl full once a day, if not twice a day.

I don't want to get too much more into this because it makes me upset thinking about it, but since then she's gained weight. Though she's still in the crate all the time... but baby steps...

Herp Derp
    Well, yeah that's no good for the dog.

Thanks

Then it's possible that it's dehydration coupled with the fact there is an underlying issue that's causing her to pass her food?

Regardless, that dog needs better care.

Herp Derp
    Couldn't tell you, honestly.

I do agree with this from what you just said.

I'm serious about the cat suggestion, though. Rehome dog, get a cuddly cat from a shelter. It's a great idea.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016)

Thanks

(Add the diarrhea... pretty sure that's a fair sign of malnourishment or possibly gobbling what food she got down too quickly. I didn't even bother checking for dehydration.)

It appeared to me she was starving,I talked to the owner's wife (who is a work friend) after and asked her to at LEAST give her a full bowl full once a day, if not twice a day.

Herp Derp
    GSDs aren't meant to be large dogs. Females should fall between 48 and 70 lbs as full grown adults and should be between 21 1/2 and 23 1/2 inches at the top of the shoulders. This girl is in my guy's pedigree:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...-buckower-feld

See. She's barely even up to the guys knees and skiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. This dog is in ideal physical condition. GSDs are also a slow to mature breed, they are often skinny minis until 3 years. It takes them a long time to fully fill out.

Americans are really used to seeing fat dogs

Also GSDs have notoriously sensitive digestive systems. Very very common in the breed.
    Last edited by voodoolamb; 11-01-2016 at 04:22 AM.
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to voodoolamb For This Useful Post:

Fraido (11-01-2016),KingWheatley (11-01-2016),PokeyTheNinja (11-01-2016),wolfy-hound (11-02-2016)

Thanks

Couldn't tell you, honestly.

I do agree with this from what you just said.

I'm serious about the cat suggestion, though. Rehome dog, get a cuddly cat from a shelter. It's a great idea.
    Good idea. I'll throw that suggestion out there as well. He thinks cats are mean though.

Herp Derp

Thanks

Help with Lab Puppy

GSDs aren't meant to be large dogs. Females should fall between 48 and 70 lbs as full grown adults and should be between 21 1/2 and 23 1/2 inches at the top of the shoulders. This girl is in my guy's pedigree:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...-buckower-feld

See. She's barely even up to the guys knees and skiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. This dog is in ideal physical condition. GSDs are also a slow to mature breed, they are often skinny minis until 3 years. It takes them a long time to fully fill out.

Americans are really used to seeing fat dogs
    Just trust me, I know a severely underweight dog when I see one. If I had a better photo or if you saw that dog in person, you'd agree with me.

I just apologize for not having a better photo.

I can tell you she does not look at all like that photo. Her hips are showing in the one photo, though. You can see how the skin sinks in at the hip joint if you look close enough. Maybe you might see her spine. It's sunken in there too.

Have you ever seen a horse that is old and about to die? How they look like they've never seen food ever? That's what she looks like.

She sat in my lap. She felt maybe a little heavier than the Maltese and the cat together. I can tell you that's not going to be anywhere close to 40ibs. MAYBE 30-35.

Herp Derp
    Last edited by KingWheatley; 11-01-2016 at 04:28 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast