Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,326

3 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

My baby female feeding problem

i have 2 bp babies. the male is very good eater. eatin medium mice. but the female doesn't eating.
    when i bought the pair the male is on shedd. 1 day after he shedd he ate mediumm mice.
    the female doesnt shedd yet and doesn't eat. i have the pair for 3 weeks now.
    i try to feed the girl live pinkie live small mice and frozen medium mice.
    she doesn't give an interest to the food.
    i have the pair in 50gallon tank ( 80x50x50cm) cage with many hides. i keep the huminty in the 50-70% the temp is 29-32. but i don't have warm and cool side because in Cyprus the temperature now is 30 + !!!! i can't control the temp bu i also have head pad and clamp lamp in the cage. and i control it with thermostat.
    i know that is not good keeping 2 BP together but i must wait some mothns to be bigger to put the snakew on my rack system. i try to put the male and he escape bu i found him.
    the girl is't on shedd yet! maybe when she shedd first time in the cage she will eat?
    can be stressed having 2 snakes in the cage? the cage is too big at time with many hides i don't think that is problem right now. because the male eating well!
    the male when humgry he exploring the cage at night but the female stay on the same posistion for hours and she doesn't make any move.
    i don't want to force feed the female , is too thin.
    these picture is 2 week old:
    http://reptileozone.myphotoalbum.com...id=Picture_020
    you can also see more pictures in
    http://reptileozone.myphotoalbum.com/
    all the people having problems with feeding with these cute snakes !!
    thanks.
    1.1 normal ball
    1.1 albino
    1.0 lemon pastel

Thanks

Re: My baby female feeding problem

well the cage is larger than I would use for baby Bps but with enough hides I guess it could work. 2 snakes in one enclosure is a much debated topic with the end result on this forum being Majority saying 2 snakes = 2 enclosures. Since you are having troubles with the female I would move her to a new enclosure at the very least until she starts to eat for you. Since the are male/female I also would not put them back together to prevent any premature breading. I would also keep your handling of her to a minimum to avoid stressing her out.
    One methode I use to get my Bps eating is to place them in a brown paper bag with a DEAD mouse clip the bag and let her be alone for awhile. Make sure the bag is clipped real well to prevent escapes.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

i know that is not good to have ma/female together if you have plans for breeding. but is babiw now i don't think this can be a problem.
    i try the borwn case but with a live prey.(monitored the mouse) but not for long time.
    1.1 normal ball
    1.1 albino
    1.0 lemon pastel

Thanks

What size/ type prey are you trying to feed her? If she will not take an adult white mouse try something smaller like a hopper or a large fuzzy. You could also try a colored or spotted mouse. If she seems to run from live prey items try a pre-killed or a F/T one.

If you have been trying to feed her in her cage try feeding her a separate container or vise versa. If you have been trying to feed her in a separate container try putting a hide box in the feeding container.

Since you have two in the cage try feeding her in the cage but take the male out for a while you are trying then close the cage and leave the room with just her and the hopper in the cage. (I wouldn’t do this with anything larger than a hopper.)

Try varying the time that you have been trying to feed her. If you have been trying to feed her at night try earlier in the evening or later at night. If you have been trying to feed her with the lights on at night try dimming them or turning them off. Just because she is a baby snake don’t think she might not like a romantic candle lit dinner
    DA
    ----------------------
    1.0 Cat, 2.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (anery/normal), 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake, 1.0 Bearded Dragons, 1.1.2 leopard Geckos, 0.0.1 Green Snake, 0.0.1 aquatic frog, 0.1 toad