Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

1 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Interesting reading about people's different feeding schedules and growth.

I've still got Wallace eating small rats on a 7 to 10 day schedule and now that he's in shed we may hit 11 or 12 days. He is at the 4 foot mark, lean and fast as a jet when he wants to move. He is 7 months old and seems to be on the perfect growth course for what I'm looking for.

The more you feed them when they are young, the more potential they will have for larger sizes at adulthood, according to Bob Clark and Jay Brewer.

I don't anticipate any issues if my guy hits the 9-10 foot mark, but that size may present some challenges when handling due to the speed these guys have.

I read a thread on another board about carpets and retics and some folks felt they were quite similar. I guess the semi arboreal behaviors and longer, leaner body type could be considered similar, but the locomotion of a reticulated python is much more colubrid like than any other boa or python I've experienced. I have not worked with olives, Timors or scrubs so I can't comment on them.

Wallace dose not move slowly and when is eats, he uses very quick, deliberate movements. He may technically be an ambush predator, but he goes to the food when its time verses waiting for it to come to him. He ended up with a small, live rat on our last feeding and he actually pursued it. When he eats he tries to get the food down rapidly and doesn't spend a lot of time swallowing.

Frequent handling is important IMO. The species is certainly more advanced and requires respect and certain cautions.

Caesar and Phyllis are looking good.

I'm not ready to bump up my cage size just yet which is nice considering it will be a bare minimum of $500.

I'm tempted to call AP and ask what a T-25 with 2 extra inches of ceiling height would go for, although I have a Monster Cage option too.

Sauzo, do you think I could stack one of my Pro-Line cages 48" x 30" x 20" on top of the AP unit? The AP would spec the exact same only it would be 6' wide.

I don't want to completely revamp my room, but I will if that stack idea won't work. It may work out with Monster Caging though as Matt uses welds and cross bars in the ceilings of his cages.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Caesar progression thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Interesting reading about people's different feeding schedules and growth.

I've still got Wallace eating small rats on a 7 to 10 day schedule and now that he's in shed we may hit 11 or 12 days. He is at the 4 foot mark, lean and fast as a jet when he wants to move. He is 7 months old and seems to be on the perfect growth course for what I'm looking for.

The more you feed them when they are young, the more potential they will have for larger sizes at adulthood, according to Bob Clark and Jay Brewer.

I don't anticipate any issues if my guy hits the 9-10 foot mark, but that size may present some challenges when handling due to the speed these guys have.

I read a thread on another board about carpets and retics and some folks felt they were quite similar. I guess the semi arboreal behaviors and longer, leaner body type could be considered similar, but the locomotion of a reticulated python is much more colubrid like than any other boa or python I've experienced. I have not worked with olives, Timors or scrubs so I can't comment on them.

Wallace dose not move slowly and when is eats, he uses very quick, deliberate movements. He may technically be an ambush predator, but he goes to the food when its time verses waiting for it to come to him. He ended up with a small, live rat on our last feeding and he actually pursued it. When he eats he tries to get the food down rapidly and doesn't spend a lot of time swallowing.

Frequent handling is important IMO. The species is certainly more advanced and requires respect and certain cautions.

Caesar and Phyllis are looking good.

I'm not ready to bump up my cage size just yet which is nice considering it will be a bare minimum of $500.

I'm tempted to call AP and ask what a T-25 with 2 extra inches of ceiling height would go for, although I have a Monster Cage option too.

Sauzo, do you think I could stack one of my Pro-Line cages 48" x 30" x 20" on top of the AP unit? The AP would spec the exact same only it would be 6' wide.

I don't want to completely revamp my room, but I will if that stack idea won't work. It may work out with Monster Caging though as Matt uses welds and cross bars in the ceilings of his cages.
    You know, I had my Pro-Line stacked on top of my T10 for awhile when I was using those folding tables so I had 2 cages on 1 table and 2 cages on another. What I noticed happening was the Pro-Lines center was sagging more and I almost had the issue Figment has with his with the center of the cage binding the door. Also I noticed that my AP cages sliding door was starting to stick. Now I'm not 100% sure that stacking them was the cause but once I unstacked them and got the Ap stand and stacked all 3 of my T10s on each other, the door for the Ap cage moved smooth again. Also the Pro-Line door went back to closing like normal too. So bottom line is, I personally wouldn't stack them although you can try and see if you start to experience what I did and if so, just unstack them.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    At the rate he's going I think he could possibly reach/exceed 10' in all honesty. He's far outstripped River's growth and she's almost 8' now.

Retics definitely love their food. I have River on colossals now and they leave a colossal lump, but rats don't seem to bog her down as much as rabbits because she's still as enthusiastic as ever. The growth spurt of just over half a foot in 2-3 months probably has a bit to do with that too though...she's thinned out once again. Haha. Then she'll get thick for awhile and then explode in length. >.>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hope he doesn't get over 10' lol.

This last feeding, Caesar went about 2 weeks without food, 1 of those weeks being because he was shedding and antisocial. Once he came out of shed, he wanted food and started pushing his head between the door and litter dam of the AP cage, climbed all over his shelf, sat at the front of the cage for hours and would look outside lol. That's when I gave him the medium rat. Well like I said in the last post, it seemed to have quieted him down...kind of. After he went in his cool hide, I slid the warm side door open to adjust his ReptiChips as he made a mess of that side from eating. Well, he popped out of the hide like lightning haha and looked at me. It was the look of 'omg more dinner!!??' And this is coming from the fatty who had a very good size lump in him. So yeah, they really do love their food haha.

I still cant believe how fast he has grown. He's still streamline but has put on a lot more muscle. I want to slow him down on food a little but like Phyllis, he will go into destruction mode if not fed. He will dig around his hides, push on the glass, wedge his head between the litter dam and glass, follow you around as you walk by the cage and in the case of last night where I forgot I had his door half open, he came out and was watching me feed Allison. I'm still thankful he didn't tag me when I turned around and ran into him lol. Just looked at me like 'so where's mine!!'

I'm hoping he slows down at the 1 year mark and I can stretch him out to maybe once ever 2 weeks on food then. maybe I'll get lucky and he will only put on another foot in those 2 months lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You know, I had my Pro-Line stacked on top of my T10 for awhile when I was using those folding tables so I had 2 cages on 1 table and 2 cages on another. What I noticed happening was the Pro-Lines center was sagging more and I almost had the issue Figment has with his with the center of the cage binding the door. Also I noticed that my AP cages sliding door was starting to stick. Now I'm not 100% sure that stacking them was the cause but once I unstacked them and got the Ap stand and stacked all 3 of my T10s on each other, the door for the Ap cage moved smooth again. Also the Pro-Line door went back to closing like normal too. So bottom line is, I personally wouldn't stack them although you can try and see if you start to experience what I did and if so, just unstack them.
    That's what I thought. I may change my setup and stack all 3 Pro-Line cages. I didn't want to go 3 high because I will have to buy a pedestal or make a rolling stand that is very heavy duty. Its not the end of the world, just more money and rearranging. I like to spread the power draw out to different outlets as well.

I've got some time since the boy is staying small so far. Although after this shed, he may have another fe inches on him.

Thanks
    Just looked over all your pictures of Caesar right from the beginning - I'm in love with him! He's so beautiful and sweet, I hope you post more pictures as he reaches adulthood. It's amazing seeing him start off so small and growing larger - thanks for sharing the pics!
    Last edited by Marzipan; 01-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marzipan For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-21-2017)

Thanks
    Here is Caesar on day 5 after dinner and he is out and about destroying stuff and thinking the camera is dinner lol.

Didn't have the flash set so hard to see Caesars face kind of

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-24-2017)

Thanks
    Caesar has gotten so huge. Here he is after lights out all stretched out at the sliding door that is opened for food. He is camping the door waiting for food delivery haha. Been sitting here for about 2 hours now. He is definitely patient.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-24-2017),C.Marie (01-02-2018),Gio (01-24-2017),jmcrook (01-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

That's getting close to how long Phyllis is! Maybe 10-12" shorter at most. He's looking awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-24-2017)

Thanks
    He's coloring up nicely. He decided since no food, he was going to sleep on his shelf under his vine lol.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-24-2017),C.Marie (01-02-2018),jbzapanda (01-24-2017),jmcrook (01-24-2017),Kira (01-24-2017)

Thanks
    Beautiful snake! I love your setup.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-24-2017)

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast