Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

2 members and 3,096 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry I have a snake full of mites

A few weeks ago I bought a few snakes from LLLReptiles and everything seemed fine until I noticed the ball python wouldn't get out of her water dish. I admit I'm a newbie but I did my research making sure she was quarantined before I put her in the rack and although I had seen her in the water a few of times, I though it was normal. A week after she was in the rack, she wouldn't get out of the water, and not only that, the pastel on the same shelf started doing the same thing. The picture bellow is not the best quality, but I was able to check them out through my stereo microscope.

I've been researching the best way to get rid of them but most websites have conflicting information an I thought I would like to know what worked best for people on this forum.

Buyers beware.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How long did you quarantine for? It seems like you only did it for a few weeks, you needed to do it for a minimum of 90 days. I have not dealt with mites but everyone usually suggests you use Prevent-A-Mites.
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo

Thanks

Re: I have a snake full of mites

Sorry to hear that, that is horrible. Check this out, was just posted on YouTube. Talks about how to use prevent-a-mite.
    https://youtu.be/yag02DDZmKM

Honestly best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mlededee; 10-27-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Editing thread title

Thanks

In my idiocy, I took the word quarantine literally and quarantined for 40 days. However, from what I undestand, these mites can migrate up to 10 feet a day. I guess that when I purchase a new reptile, I should use glue boards on the floor around the quarantine area.

Thanks

Omg I had no idea. That's gnarly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    How long was it between receiving the snake and noticing the mites? Reason being how do you know the snake was sent to you with them? Mites can be introduced multiple ways. Your quarantine duration was way too short, and being that now you snake is in a rack, you have introduced mites to all your snakes. Best way to treat them is remove all decorations and substrate from the racks, you can use "reptile spray" to wipe down the snakes (do not directly spray on the animal, you put it on a rag and wipe them down. Spray your tubs and wipe them clean, put down paper towels, spray all the tubs with Prevent-A-Mite, put in water bowls, and monitor for improvements.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-27-2016)

Thanks

I think the signs of mites were there from the beginning and I failed to pick up on them. The water dish in the quarantine tube was much smaller and she really couldn't immerse herself in there. I know it came with this snake because I never had this issue and I haven't purchased a reptile for at least 8 months prior.
    Last edited by mlededee; 10-27-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Editing thread title

Thanks
    They may very well have come on the animal, however just a side note for future reference, you can introduce them through bedding/decorations purchases from a reptile store, visiting a show, etc.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Prevent-a-mite. It's the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mlededee; 10-27-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Editing thread title
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Orange Dream Yellowbelly
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Also if you would of done a search on lllreptile you would see what their reputation is.

Good news is, while annoying mites are manageable. Just stay on top of the after treatments. I make it a habit to treat for mites for any new animal, no matter where it came from. A good breeder can get mites from someone else at a show, just protect yourself and assume you are bringing them home with mites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast