Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

1 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Stargazing?!

Thanks

Stargazing?!

So my new BP, I've had about 2 weeks, still havent handled, but unfortunately, he still hasn't eaten. Once he bit and constricted and then just left the mouse in the hide.
    I've noticed that he sometimes sits with his head and neck pointed up to the ceiling. He'll do this for maybe 3 minutes, usually less. More often, he'll lie with his neck pointing out the hide, and his head resting on the waterbowl, at an angle, still pointing up. I haven't noticed any other IBD type symptoms. Is this a RI, or is this just normal behaviour. Obviously I'm pretty paranoid because he's my first BP and STILL hasn't eaten.

Temps are good- 92 hot, 83 median, 78 cold
    humidity was pretty high for the first week, but has since gone down to 60 for the last few days
    hide is quite big, but he wouldn't go into the smaller hide
    he looks healthy, but to be fair I've never owned a BP so I just mean he's moving well, and doesn't look TOO skinny, (he's defo lost a bit of weight though since he hasn't eaten)

please help, really don't have money for a vet but obviously if it's super necessary I'll beg borrow and steal if i have to

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Stargazing or staring up sometimes isn't a disease by itself, only one of the symptoms of inclusion body disease. Which would also include twisting their body, disorientation, rolling on their back.

RI, you would hear audible breathing or whistling sound when breathing. You can pull down the side of their bottom lip and check for bubbles.

If he's getting skinny, have you tried offering a live mouse hopper, if you have a local provider? I assume he's still hatchling size?

I'm just going to say it- you will need to be able to afford vet care if you want to own a pet. It's part of the responsibility of owning pets. If your pet does get sick or is seriously injured, and you don't have the money, it'll be detrimental for both you and your pet.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-20-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks

Re: Stargazing?!

I am not a professional, as I am also a first-time BP owner, but I have read that sometimes BPs can go several months without eating (here is one website discussing the author's experience with the issue). That's not to say that you shouldn't be concerned... just meant to ease your first-time nerves a bit.

HTH!

Edited to add another website with information.
    Last edited by lanswyfte; 10-20-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks
    I wouldn't be too concerned if no other IBD/RI symptoms are present. Does seem a bit odd that he often rests with his head at an incline though. I'd keep an eye on him and look for any other odd behaviors.

And I agree with trying a live mouse hopper or rat pup... if he's only ever experienced live prey that may be why he's turning his nose up at f/t.

Thanks
    You only mention one hide, I'm sure you've got 2 but if they are both big maybe he isn't as happy as he would be with smaller ones. They should be identical so it doesn't have to pick hide over temp and where the snake can touch all sides of it. I bought $2.00 6" black plastic flower pots from lowes and cut them in 1/2 to 3" which is still a little big for my small guy but better than a large exoterra hide or such. Hope this helps if hides are the issue.
    1.0 Het Albino - Lex

Thanks

Re: Stargazing?!

the shop where i got him from he only had one hide, and was eating f/t as well, so dont think that's an issue.
    because i dont want to handle him until he's eaten it's difficult to tell if he's wheezing
    i've only got one hide, because the enclosure is quite small because he's still young, so cant really fit two in
    unless it's fine to just use a cardboard box with an entrance cut in?

i think he's really stressed, would it not stress him out more to change the hides suddenly