Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,326

1 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Tips for hand taming a bay.

So, little Willow is 2.5 months old (considered a juvenile I guess?)

Anyway, we got her last Friday and will be attempting a feed this coming Sunday. We are going to wait to hold her until she's had a meal and digested.

My adult female came to us as an adult and was used to being handled. She wasn't nervous at all. Willow, on the other hand, backs away when we stop by her tank to see how she's doing. She seems very, very nervous, and that's understandable.

I'm wondering, does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to properly get a baby used to being held, so it causes them the least amount of stress? (How often and for how long.) I get that with adults, it's dependant on the snake and it's personality, but for a baby who's never really been held, it may be different.)
    1.0 hubby
    1.1 American Bulldog Cross (Moses, Olivia)
    0.1 Spider Ball Python (Yzma)
    0.1 BEL (Super Mojave) Ball Python (Willow)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Ripley)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yzmasmom For This Useful Post:

Brainplague (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    I found this video to be very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TjNKrsQEQ

The little guy I got is about the same age as Willow and the breeder warned me that he was pretty nippy. When I first attempted to handle him two weeks ago, he appeared very nervous, so I made sure the room was very calm and quiet. I removed the water dish and hides, without touching him and just let him observe me sitting there calmly for about 5 minutes or so.

I very slowly used a small hook https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HZ8S16/ to rub his sides a few times and slowly lift him to my flat hand.

He was still very stiff and nervous but did not attempt to strike. I just stayed still and let him sit in my hand until he decided to move. I didn't attempt to manipulate him at all. The first time he didn't move much, and was happy to return to his hide after about 10 minutes.

I did the same thing the following week and he started to explore a little bit. A few days ago I handled him again and he relaxed in less than a minute. Today I picked him up without the hook without issue and he went right into explore mode.

Hope that helps, and looking forward to hearing how Willow takes to handling. =)
    Last edited by Sallos; 10-20-2016 at 01:27 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sallos For This Useful Post:

Brainplague (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    In my experience it's all about gentleness in small doses. I probably hold mine more than I should. At least once a day for a few minutes if she isn't digesting a meal. She seems to be adjusting well. I spend a lot of time just watching her poke her head out of her hide. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Babies are also naturally more nervous and afraid, so part of the reason is just that. Ball pythons are an easygoing species (mostly), and they will naturally grow out of it and calm down as they hit maybe ~500g.

I handled my hatchlings only twice a week for maybe 10~15 minutes each time.

Thanks
    I also have a appx 2.5 month old . Being a new owner I got him to feed twice for me and he also shed for me. So after his shed I talked to him a couple days for about 10 minutes with lid off just so he could realize there was no imminent danger with lid being off. The next day (day 13) I used the hook to pet him for a few seconds like that video shows, and then hooked him to slide my hand under. I mainly waited for his head to be turned away from me and slid my hand in under him. His first time he was a little curious didn't move all that much and wasn't breathing too heavy. Only handled for about 5-7 minutes then put him back while he explored his tub and went back into his hide I talked to him. Yesterday I got hands on again after he had 3 days to digest his meal (i'm really not trying to stress him out for my enjoyment) for 10 minutes. I did the same thing as before , petted with the hook for a short while then picked him up. This time he was a lot more tense than first time but he got over it a lot quicker and started sticking his neck out to sniff coats hanging up and up my chest to sniff me. I'm the only one in the closet and there is no commotion going on while handling. Very slow movements and always coming from the underneath side to give him more slither room. Also stroking him from time to time. So far so good I will soon try with no hook, but only when I feel he is super comfy with me as I don't want him to strike at me , not so much as fear on my part but again don't want to cause any unnecessary stress. He's eating for me and we are starting our bonding relationship slowly and i'm okay with that. Its about him not me.
    Last edited by amrakweno; 10-20-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    1.0 Het Albino - Lex

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tips for hand taming a bay.

I wouldn't worry to much about handling for a baby, just take care of its needs and let him settle in and feel safe for awhile. If you do want to handle it, keep it short, support the body and be confident.

Thanks

Re: Tips for hand taming a bay.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for the very much needed advice.

I purchased "Six", a baby (158g), normal morph BP on 1/26/17. The advice on acclimating a baby BP to being handled was invaluable and is working wonders. Although she's never threatened to bite, she is extremely nervous. Because of the advice on this thread I now have her to the point where s/he's not afraid of being touched when I reach into her tank. That's real progress for us, believe me.

Cheers from Fort Worth!
    Last edited by Brainplague; 02-03-2017 at 02:52 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brainplague For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-03-2017),The Golem (02-04-2017)