Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

1 members and 2,993 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Just... what are the odds?

So I was planning on posting an updated post of all my ball pythons since it has been a couple years (oops) since I posted here last. I was just waiting for my new arrivals to finish their quarantine so I could get some good pictures of them as well and have one big, happy post about how my collection has grown.

Unfortunately it looks like my Pied het Albino female (aka Dislike) is currently MIA, and I'm not at all optimistic about the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

So background: We recently moved to Alaska from Florida. Had to ship all my snakes from my parent's house in Arkansas and had to leave behind my old rack. Built a new rack after arriving here, got them set up, and within the 2 months they were here I had no escapes. Fast Forward...

Sunday Night: Feeding night, Dislike takes down 1 Small F/T Rat.
    Monday Morning: Dislike is curled up in her hide.
    Rest of Monday: Household goods are delivered. From 0900-1700 we have 3 movers unpacking 2 trucks. The front door is open most of the day. The last thing completed was putting the futon together, which was located in the spare bedroom where the snake rack is. 2 of the men did this unsupervised. After they leave we run errands and grab dinner, don't get home until late and go to bed.
    Tuesday Morning: Dislike's tote is found empty.

Spent all of Tuesday moving boxes and checking every inch of the house, even checked the other totes on the rack to make sure she didn't shack up with one of the others. No sign of her. Put flour lines in all the entrances and across the rooms yesterday evening with no signs today. I plan to get a mouse and a critter keeper today to try and entice her out, but she has been a finicky eater and typically only eats about twice a month. Not sure if she'll be interested but I'm trying everything I can think of.

I just... this whole thing seems sketchy to me. What are the chances that there are ZERO incidents with this rack that she should just happen to get out the day the movers are here? The day after she's eaten even? She is my shy girl, I hardly ever see her moving as it is, let alone with a small rat in her belly. Luckily we have heated floors so I'm not too worried about her getting too cold (highs are only about mid 40s here) if she is in the house but.. ugh. I'm so freaked out that one of those guys took her. I contacted the moving company and explained the situation to them and they said they would ask their guys if they saw anything, but if one of them grabbed her I highly doubt they would say anything. Even posted on the local lost and found pet facebook page for anchorage in case someone sees her put up for sale.

I seriously hope I'm freaking out over nothing and she just pops up somewhere. I just want her safely back in her home!

Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Pied 100% het Clown (2014)
    1.0 Pastel Leopard Pied 50% het Clown (2016)
    0.1 Albino Clown (2013)
    0.1 Pied 100% Het Albino (2014)
    0.1 Enchi 100% DH Clown Pied (2016)
    0.1 100% DH Clown Pied (2016)
    0.1 Pastel Fire Yellowbelly (2014)
    2.3 Clown DH Albino Pied (2017/18)
    0.1 100% TH Albino Clown Pied (2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I would call and get a complaint on record.
    Just seems too odd.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (10-20-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Tuesday when you discovered her missing, was her tub open? Or do you not remember? Because I've never had an escape close the tub back behind it.
    I would highly suspect one of the moving people stole her. I would push it with them.
    I'm so sorry to hear this! How terrible
    For the Horde!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I'm assuming it's a slide out tub rack?
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Just... what are the odds?

Yes it's a slide in tub rack and I don't remember to tub being out of line or anything out of the ordinary when I did my morning check.

I called the company Tuesday afternoon as soon as it occured to me that theft was an option, but even if I don't find her I doubt there is anything they can or will do. The guy won't come forward I'm sure and I have no proof that she was taken.
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Albino Clown (2013)

Thanks
    Seems extremely sketchy. Especially if the tub was closed. I would definitely be making a visit to the company and putting in a formal complaint, and perhaps contacting my local police department. It's theft regardless of what was taken.

I hope you find your girl! I'd be scouring craigslist as well as the lost and found Facebook. Keep us updated

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    That freaking SUCKS!! So sorry!
    I'd definitely suspect the moving guys too, in this case, but no idea how to find out or prove it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (10-20-2016)

Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks
    That's awful! I hope you get her back. Hopefully somebody looked to see what was in the tub and let her out by mistake and she's nearby. (fingers crossed)

You might want to mention something at any nearby store that sells feeders and spread the word, just in case. And maybe get a police report just in case someone should see her with someone else.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

Thanks

Re: Just... what are the odds?

Yeah I never got a follow up from the guy I contacted yesterday, so I'll call him again tomorrow and see if he has any news. Got caught up unpacking and cleaning today with periodic checks on all the flour lines. Unfortunately I don't know when would be the right time to even file a police report. It's so hard to prove anything with a situation like this, as the moving guys can just as easily claim that the snake could have escaped on it's own. Maybe even made its way outside since the doors were open the whole time they were unpacking the truck. I highly doubt she would willingly go out into 40 degree weather though? And it's only been a couple days, I know actually finding a loose snake can take a while so I definitely don't want to jump the gun and make legal accusations that may be unnecessary.

There aren't many pet stores here that would accept a ball python, but there is one I know of that I will contact tonight just to let them know in case someone brings her in. I've already checked craigslist and the online classifieds but nothing has come up as of yet.

Gonna head out to get a mouse now. If she's here, maybe it will be enough to lure her out
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Albino Clown (2013)

Thanks
    Well, I had a problem with a neighbor that liked to steal our chickens last year we have pictures of all the chickens and ducks for records and the police retrieved them for us so the upside is if you have lots of photos of your snake and since they are all kinda unique in a way as far as patterns the police will hopefully retrieve your snake if one of the movers stole her.
    Last edited by InquisitorXIII; 10-19-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast