Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,036

2 members and 2,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

I wish to introduce my Nagisa :3

On tonight's episode of 'I really should be doing my homework'...

While I mentioned Nagi here among the rest of my menagerie in my intro thread, I hadn't really introduced him yet. But he just shed and is looking at his most handsome, and is now at 155g, so I figure this is a good time for it.

So without further ado, this is Nagisa:

He does have a little scuffing on his face, seen as that white mark above his nose... :/ A keep I had him in proved not as safe as I had hoped, I removed him from it right away when I noticed and the damage didn't look too bad so I was hoping this shed would do away with it, but apparently it was worse than I thought and will need another shed or two for it -sigh-

My fave markings of his are on his neck- I love how he has lines that seem to weave over the center line-

And, though I don't have a great pic of it (the snake would not stop moving for long enough XD), the reason I picked out him from the other normals around him was 'cause he had wonderful white outlining to the markings on his sides-

So, TECHNICALLY he's a normal. He was sold to me as a normal for the price of a normal ($20). However, I was told when I got him that he might be a special. It sounded like the guy got him from someone else or something? But what he specifically told me was that he was told that if this snake was bred to a mojave it would produce a morph called crystal, but he obviously hadn't been able to breed this one or his brothers to prove this statement so he was selling them as normals.

A few months, and plenty of research later, I have come to the conclusion of 'he might be he might not be', after all he has some of the traits I see given to specials (good white outlines to his side markings-why I picked him out specifically, somewhat bright markings with significant black speckling at the sides...) however nothing that is not well within the realm of normal variation. So, since I am curious as heck, especially when it comes to genetics and such, I plan to get a female phantom (or, preferably for better outcome, a multi-gene female with phantom, but I'll see what I end up finding and loving enough to bring home) so that in a few years or so I can breed them and see if Nagisa would prove out or not. Regardless of if he proves to be special or ends up just being normal, I deem him a beautiful and lovely snake. :3

Thanks
    He's pretty, love seeing normal.
    I have favorite markings on Karma too! I named them too, they're called Froggy and GhoulI'll upload pics of them sometime.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks
    That's adorable :3 Yeah, I don't name the markings but I have those on Nagi, some I especially love on Rifter, my cornsnake, and one of my cats, Rosswelle, has an orange spot on his otherwise white belly that I have to poke every time he shows it to me (kitty loves me)

Thanks
    Personally I've always thought specials just looked like really nice normals.... What I've gathered though is that specials have high contrast between darks and lights and clean pattern with strong white outlining. They have very vague standards.

Good luck proving him out though! He certainly looks like he could be a special, but either way he's very pretty

Thanks
    What I can find about ways to tell specials, I agree that they have vague standards. I've yet to see one that doesn't fit within normal qualifications. I can't say I care whether or not he's special or normal, he's still a wonderful snake and will always be I'm sure :3 He's mine so I'm bias, anyways. But I do care that I know, just 'cause I have insane curiosity in such matters. So eventually when he's all grown up and I have a girly all grown up I can see, yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I love his name and congrats!!

There are a few base morphs that look more or less like normals... Only after they're bred, it's obvious they aren't. It's less about a standard, and more just their genes and how they prove out. There isn't anything normal about the super form of special!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Very nice!! Congrats on your new little guy!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: I wish to introduce my Nagisa :3

Hey, even if he doesn't prove out to be a special he is special! That's what really counts.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Re: I wish to introduce my Nagisa :3

Cutie! I dig his pattern.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Nagisa has crested 200 grams :3 Earlier today I weighed him at 217g post defecation. Yesterday I moved him into the larger, 31 litre keep I had set up for him. I put four hides in there, two on each side, to provide plenty of cover and 'cause both types are hides that aren't to my preference so I thought I'd give him his choice till I could get someting better set up for him

Of course, it's nearly impossible to see there, but he is in the bowl hide on the warm side in that picture (on the right). Mind, it's so lightweight that 'in' the hide is debatable...

But today, too, it seems he has chosen his favorite hide
    Reptiles:
    1.1 Crested geckos (0.1 Halloween Harlequin Mana, 1.0 Red Mokuba)
    3.3 Ball Pythons (1.1 Mojave Odin, Shallan, 0.1 Lemonblast Wyrm, 0.1 Phantom Goblin Vida, 1.0 Genetic Stripe Dalinar, 1.0 Spider Tien)
    1.2 Cornsnake (0.1 Anery Rifter, 0.1 Hypo Motley/Stripe Saedian, 1.0 Ghost Dwimor)
    Mammals:
    1.0 Dog (1.0 Red Sesame Shiba Inu Renjirou)
    2.0 Cats (1.0 Black DSH Wolverine, 1.0 Red Patterned and White Japanese Bobtail Rosswelle)