Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,380

2 members and 3,378 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Worse BP Owned, Baddest Purchase

So we love to share our stories, pix and admiration for our BP’s. what about the flip side? i was just wondering if anyone out there had ever owned or bought a BP to only regret it. this could be a BP with a bad temperament, bad investment or u just fell out of love with it after some time. Whatever the reason may be.

Me, I’ve been good with this. sure i have some fussy eaters but i haven’t regretted any purchases yet. they all fit into my collection and plans.

Edit1: ok, if i had to choose one - i guess i didn't need a second GHI Mojave. esp. a fussy live mouser boy.

Edit2: and i guess, my newest girl came to me sick. she's absolutely stunning though and i don't regret the purchase. i just have to love her more and nurse her health.
    Last edited by Ax01; 10-14-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Worse BP Owned, Baddest Purchase

I was just talking to a co-worker with about my new bp and this topic came up. He said he tried a bp for a while but ended up getting rid of it because it was super aggressive. I just got my first bp, she is a 7yo rescue and so far it looks like I won't have that problem at all. If she does though I plan on spending the time to attempt to correct the issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennie1986 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I'm happy with all my BP purchases. OTOH about once a week I want to throw my garter snakes (one WC in the driveway and one store-bought but still native to this area) outside to fend for themselves.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-17-2016),Ax01 (10-14-2016),voodoolamb (10-15-2016)

Thanks

I don't have a "worst or most bad" BP purchase, but if I had to choose it was getting a BP in the first place. They're not for me, there's lots of gorgeous BPs out there, but the species is just not for me. 😊

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016),cron14 (10-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I pick my snakes way too carefully so I haven't had this happen.

This doesn't really apply since I don't own her anymore, but my 2nd ball python was a black pastel female who I literally got within 30 days of getting my first snake ever (Cake), and this was just last June 2015. I made an impulse decision on wanting to breed for albino black pastels (even though I could've gotten a black pastel het albino or just a black pastel albino) without waiting/thinking on it, and just got her! Needless to say, I realized I wouldn't be getting albino black pastels with an albino and a black pastel within a few years, and I didn't have a personal attachment with the morph, so I sold her only 3~4 months later to smoothscales on this forum. She's now being paired with their spinnerblast and hoping for a clutch soon.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-14-2016 at 06:27 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

My first ever experience with a ball python was a very bad one. I had bought a hatchling from a young girl that worked at a local pet store. She sold me the normal for $50. At the time I was naive and stupid so I thought this was a great deal.

I was so new and didn't know anything about these snakes. I had a 20 gallon long tank and only had a heat lamp. I had no UTH at all. I had fed the snake about three times and it had eaten those three times only. A short time after the snake went off feed and then I found dreaded mites on the poor thing. I tried everything to get that snake to eat and to get rid of the mites. I hadn't even discovered this forum at that point. I wish I would have.

So do I regret having had a ball python in the beginning, yes, I do. I was ignorant as hell and did not know a thing about ball pythons back in the day. I was very lucky to have found this forum later on and I have learned so much from the experienced members on here. I ended up giving the snake a better home with someone who knew what they were doing and I feel bad for the way I came into the ball python keeping hobby. I love ball pythons and I always will.

I would definitely get more snakes if I could accommodate them but I am not able to do that. Winters are harsh out here in PA and we are prone to losing power for days. I also just don't have the space to take on any more animals. If I ever acquire a house of my own and more room, I would most definitely have numerous snakes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'm happy with all my BP purchases. OTOH about once a week I want to throw my garter snakes (one WC in the driveway and one store-bought but still native to this area) outside to fend for themselves.
    lol that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    I don't have a "worst or most bad" BP purchase, but if I had to choose it was getting a BP in the first place. They're not for me, there's lots of gorgeous BPs out there, but the species is just not for me. 😊
    lol that's funnier! (is that a word?)
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    lol that's funnier! (is that a word?)
    I think so.. 😂
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My worse were an het that did not prove and a "female" that turn out to be a male
    Deborah Stewart

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016),OTorresUSMC (10-16-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Not a BP but here's a story for you - in 2000, after being in the hobby for about 2 years, I decided I wanted to breed corn snakes. I bought a 1.4 group from someone online. Raised them up for about 3 years to find out all 5 were males. I bought 3 others during those years from someone reputable. I ended up keeping one female from that second group (still have her) and selling the rest. It was very disappointing but a good learning experience - Buy from reputable people and double check sexes when they arrive.
    For the Horde!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (10-14-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast