Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

3 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Pet Owner vs Breeding

Do you want to breed a snake? Or do you want to own a Ball Python as a pet to love and care for?

There are very PARTICULAR things to follow if you want to breed your snakes. Certain heat levels can sterilize your Ball Python, for example. And if you are intending on breeding, chances are you are intending on owning more than one snake. For this particular reason, having the cheapest and easiest options available are important.

Much like breeding dogs, where you would house your dogs in a kennel that is at least a certain volume of space, with a specific dog food and in a specific amount. And of course, specific things to decrease stress and increase the livelihood of both parents and offspring. I'm sure there are plenty of areas and people, knowledgeable due to many years of breeding, who could direct you in such a way that would aid you. People like Deborah, for high example.

But what if you just want to own a ball python as a pet? Does your ball python really care if he has aspen bedding vs paper bedding? Or if his hide is a certain texture? Or if he has an all white interior? Or things to climb on?

This may come as a surprise, but no. Your ball python DOESN'T CARE what bedding he has, what shape of hide he has, OR what his surroundings look like. IF there are no birds, no claws, no predators... If your snake is being fed properly... If things are comfortable for him (in other words, meeting the criteria in the care sheet provided HERE)... If you are doing your job as far as your ball python's basic needs, and he is not stressed or showing signs of stress (such as fasting.) Then YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY 100% FINE.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KingWheatley For This Useful Post:

Kreature (10-14-2016)

Thanks

Re: Pet Owner vs Breeding

Interesting you feel the need to say this, as nobody has said otherwise.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

dmt_jovi (10-18-2016),KingWheatley (10-13-2016),PitOnTheProwl (10-14-2016),PokeyTheNinja (10-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    Interesting you feel the need to say this, as nobody has said otherwise.

Actually... I'm constantly being attacked for how my husbandry is set up. Because it's not a rack system, to put it in very shortened terms. With the paper substrate, the black plastic tub. I actually got yelled at through reputation for having ASPEN. For having a rock looking hide. For feeding him large mice when they feed theirs F/T rat babies.

People who are knowledgeable, like Deborah, come and correct me, and that's fine by itself. But when other people take up arms around her for me having my own opinion against hers, and then turn around AND ITS ALWAYS the same users, too.

SO yes. I did feel the need to say this. Because I'm sure I'm not the only pet owner who doesn't intend to be a breeder who has faced this kind of behavior of people assuming that just because it worked for one person doesn't mean it's the only way.

As long as the cared-for creature/individual is having it's needs met, and is being called healthy by a professional that actually has the snake in their hands (Referring to a Herp vet), there really is no reason to get all fired up over the little details.

And yet... here I am... having to constantly defend myself, my herp vet, my set up (which I do correct to an extent when it does need corrected, such as the lizard hide...) blah blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Oookaay.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (10-14-2016),PokeyTheNinja (10-14-2016)

Thanks

To be fair, though. The single person who has been a huge problem has already been dealt with, and so on. But it hasn't stopped any copycats from there. -_- Like parrots, just chirping the words they've heard from people (like Deborah, admittedly), who are intelligent and know what they are talking about but yet stubbornly abide only to what they know.

Thanks

Also, a huge part of this is frustration on the huge mix of information.

I've heard everything from 5-14 days for feeding, and once a day (not including after feeding) three times a week, once a week, once a month for handling. One hide. Two hides. Two waters. One water. Red fish. Blue fish. Blah blah blah.

I'm going cross eyed with how much misinformation is mixed into necessity. So much so that I treat EVERYONE who offers me advice of any kind with skepticism and grains of salt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I don't think you are being attacked. I think you get called out because you ask questions and ignore the answers and then get defensive. This snake stuff just might not be for you. You are tweaking hard over all this stuff. You want a pet that you will show you affection and love you back. That ain't a ball python. You post all this outrageous stuff to the point where it looks like you are trolling for attention. This place is no different than any other animal based message board. You have your hardcore members that have been doing it for years that see the noobs come and go. Asking the same questions day in and day out. It probably gets old. But they still offer help and advice and then you come along and take a dump in their front yard because the snake whisperer told you they were all wrong. You should take some of the advice given to you. The "attacks" would probably stop.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BPGator (10-14-2016),enoughbubbles456 (10-14-2016),Fraido (10-13-2016),Jeanne (10-14-2016),jmcrook (10-14-2016),Kreature (10-14-2016),PitOnTheProwl (10-14-2016),PokeyTheNinja (10-14-2016),redshepherd (10-14-2016),voodoolamb (10-14-2016),wolfy-hound (10-16-2016),Yzmasmom (10-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingWheatley View Post
    Also, a huge part of this is frustration on the huge mix of information.

I've heard everything from 5-14 days for feeding, and once a day (not including after feeding) three times a week, once a week, once a month for handling. One hide. Two hides. Two waters. One water. Red fish. Blue fish. Blah blah blah.

I'm going cross eyed with how much misinformation is mixed into necessity. So much so that I treat EVERYONE who offers me advice of any kind with skepticism and grains of salt.

Like you said, there isn't one specific way to care for any animal. I think it all comes down to experience; and whatever information you wish to take from people who share their experiences is dependent on you. In the end though, the goal on this forum is to ultimately help each other through these experiences & incorporate it to your own. It's all trial and error. I can tell you care deeply about Wheatley which is great! Don't take anything too personally and use it to learn from others and you'll have a good time on this forum.
    Last edited by jbzapanda; 10-13-2016 at 11:58 PM.
    1.0 Coral Glow - Jumbi

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbzapanda For This Useful Post:

KingWheatley (10-14-2016),redshepherd (10-14-2016)

Thanks

If you aren't going to believe anything anybody suggests to you, why ask anything at all?

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fraido For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (10-14-2016),jmcrook (10-14-2016),PitOnTheProwl (10-14-2016),PokeyTheNinja (10-14-2016),rabernet (10-14-2016),wolfy-hound (10-16-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
    If you aren't going to believe anything anybody suggests to you, why ask anything at all?

Because information with proper sources, one not fueled with emotion/assumptions, is always what I'm looking for. I will ALWAYS provide counter examples so that they will be considered and cleared up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast