Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

1 members and 3,160 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Upcoming STORM hitting my area. Need advice for power outage solutions to keep BP.

So in the next few days and over the weekend, my area is going to be bombarded with heavy winds going up to 100ml/h during the weekend. This will no doubt cause a chance for a power outage.

I am in need of some good advice to keep my BP warm and fine if and when the power goes out. If it does , I don't know how long for, but it should'nt be longer than an hour or 2. Keep in mind that it would be need to temporary as I do not have easy access to luxury items like a generator or a large battery.

As I'm typing this she is actually in her hide having her second shed now (which honestly caught me off guard). And tonight is her feeding night so I'm about to feed her in a little bit just before I retire for the night.

Any help or advice would be extremely helpful. I am not sure if I should feed her tonight, but it's been a while since she ate.

Thanks

Re: Upcoming STORM hitting my area. Need advice for power outage solutions to keep B

Following as a similar (or the same) storm is hitting my area. Hope to see what others input. Stay safe!

Thanks
    Unless you have already done so, I'd recommend against feeding. If there is an outage, and it lasts longer than an hour or two, it's not as risky for the snake to spend a few hours at slightly cool temperatures on an empty stomach.

The quickest, easiest thing is to put her in a bag and tuck her into your coat for a bit. Works fine, especially for shorter outages.

We're actually looking at a wind event where I am, as well. What I have ready to go is a propane Buddy Heater. On the 'low' setting, it will run for about six hours and heat a small room to almost 85 degrees. If you use one, of course, read all the warning labels, and it doesn't hurt to leave a crack the door cracked open. I've been using it for twelve years (we get frequent outages) and love it. Really simple, takes just a couple minutes to set up. I do not recall how much it cost, but it doesn't seem like it was all that much. We also have a wood stove. It's entirely too hot to have the snakes close it, but it gets the place nice and toasty.

Whatever you do, don't use skiing-type hand warmers. These get WAY too hot and can potentially burn your snake.

Hot water bottles are doable, just wrap it well and leave it against the side of the enclosure. Make sure it is not creating temps higher than the mid to upper 80s. The idea isn't to keep the cage at proper maintenance temps, but to keep it from getting much below about 75 -- assuming the snake hasn't eaten.

Those are kinda the main ones I can think of. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (10-13-2016)

Thanks

Re: Upcoming STORM hitting my area. Need advice for power outage solutions to keep B

I havent fed her yet but I will pretty soon. Are you sure I shouldn't feed her? I mean its not for certain that the power will go out, but she hasnt eaten in about 2 weeks so I'm curious if its ok or if I should wait till next week.

I already have the mouse thawing and almost ready to go.
    Last edited by FeathersRuff; 10-13-2016 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FeathersRuff View Post
    I havent fed her yet but I will pretty soon. Are you sure I shouldn't feed her? I mean its not for certain that the power will go out, but she hasnt eaten in about 2 weeks so I'm curious if its ok or if I should wait till next week.

If the power outage might happen within 3 days, avoid feeding her.. Stress and too low temps can cause regurgitation. It's easier on a ball python to go through a stressful situation on an empty stomach. They can go a long time without food and be fine, assuming she's at least 200g or so.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-13-2016 at 03:28 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-13-2016),bcr229 (10-13-2016),Sallos (10-13-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FeathersRuff View Post

Maybe it can still go back into the freezer until Sunday or Monday? Especially if she is in shed/shedding. If the skin is actually coming off, there is no point in feeding her right now, anyway, wind storm or no.
    Last edited by Alicia; 10-13-2016 at 03:33 AM. Reason: redshepherd beat me to the post! and I can't spell. or write in coherent sentences.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Stock up on UniHeats if you haven't. Those, a sterilite tub and a Big Buddy propane heater.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Ya this is her second shed and the skin has been coming off. It's just hard to get it because she decided she rather shed in her hide this time, but I got most of it out. Ill put the mouse back in the freezer and probably wait till sunday/monday to feed her.

In the meantime, just to make sure, would putting another towel/blanket underneath her tank maybe keep it a little warm if the power goes out? Or even drape the tank in a blanket?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    That tank is going to lose heat fast. I would check local pet shops and see if they UniHeat packs. They are the same ones they use to ship reptiles with. You can get them from Ship Your Reptile website, Bean Farm and I'm sure other online reptile shops. I have a local pet shop that stocks them so I just buy around 12-18 during the summer and keep them since if power goes out, those things are instantly sold out lol. Also invest in a sterilite or Rubbermaid or any plastic tub that is small enough for the snake to feel secure in. I then just put them all on my bed, shove a UniHeat under one side of each tube on the outside and then cover them up with my blankets. It keeps them around 75F with a 90ish hot spot. I'm going to invest in a Big Buddy heater this year too as I've picked up a few more snakes and so the room on the bed is shrinking fast lol. Also the UniHeat packs come in different hours. There is 40, 72 and I think like 100 hours.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Ok well Uniheat packs will be a stretch because I only have access to one pet shop in my town and if they dont carry them, then im outta luck.

I do however have a tub I put her in when I clean her tank. So would it be alright if I put her in there and cover her in a blanket on my bed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast