Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

2 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Am I Forgetting anything!?!?

I was wondering if I am forgetting anything to care for a ball python that I will get soon.I will use a u.t.h. 8 by 6 reptherm.Acu rite humidity and tempature.Sterlite bin 15 sinse it's a baby.Jump start heat mat thermostat.cool side 80 degrees I know it can fall to 78 and 83.Basking 90-94?A water bowl.Reptisafe applied to the water.Provent a mite.Humidity 50 -60 percent 60-65 while shedding (please tell me ideal percentage if you can for shedding).I want a snake cave from exo terra medium in both ends I don't know if that would fit in 15qt

Thanks

Re: Am I Forgetting anything!?!?

Pretty much everything sounds good. Buy a tub size that is ideal for the snakes size and a uth that covers 1/4-1/3 of the tub. If the cool side can not stay between 78-82 you can get another uth that covers 1/2 of the tub and another thermostat to keep the cool side at temp. Acurite 00891 is a good temp/humidity gauge, it will give you hot side, cool side, and humidity from one unit. Remember you want to measure the uth temp under the substrate (bedding) so you will want to put the acurite probe under it. What do you plan on using as substrate? Humidity levels you listed are good. As for hides I would get the reptile basics hides, they are very dark, secure, cheap, and come in many sizes so it can have the same hide as it grows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrid16371; 10-11-2016 at 05:13 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Copythatpasste (10-11-2016)

Thanks

I am going to use paper towel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    Pretty much everything sounds good. Buy a tub size that is ideal for the snakes size and a uth that covers 1/4-1/3 of the tub. If the cool side can not stay between 78-82 you can get another uth that covers 1/2 of the tub and another thermostat to keep the cool side at temp. Acurite 00891 is a good temp/humidity gauge, it will give you hot side, cool side, and humidity from one unit. Remember you want to measure the uth temp under the substrate (bedding) so you will want to put the acurite probe under it. What do you plan on using as substrate? Humidity levels you listed are good. As for hides I would get the reptile basics hides, they are very dark, secure, cheap, and come in many sizes so it can have the same hide as it grows.

I had to get 2 UTH my cool side was staying to low down to 72 even. Also I just went to lowes and bought 2 of the smallest black plastic flower pots , they were a little tall for my likng so I cut about an inch off top and cut me a small crawl hole for him. Also took a soldering iron and smoothed out all possible sharp edges. Sounds like your off to a good start.
    Last edited by amrakweno; 10-11-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Copythatpasste View Post
    I'm new at this as well, but had my tub setup a couple weeks before bringing home my new addition to be sure I could get everything where it needed to be consistantly. One thing I tried was to put Blue Shop Paper Towels Under my ReptiChip Substrate. I went in to measure surface temps on hot side under shop towels and I was getting readings of 104/102/100 at the plastic. So you might double check that. Also get you a Infra-red gun from Lowes for like 15 bucks, they come in very handy.
    Last edited by amrakweno; 10-11-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Copythatpasste View Post
    As long as humidity is ok with just water bowl paper towels will be fine. Also a good thing about paper towels is the heat transfer is good so you can just set thermostat at 90 and you will be good, if you have to use a uth for cool side you can set that thermostat for 81 and you will be good. When you put your uth on make sure your thermostat probe (not thermometer) is sandwiched between uth and bottom of tub.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Copythatpasste (10-11-2016)