Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

1 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding question

So today my female, who has been a solid consistent eater since getting settled, constricted her mouse but then didnt eat it. Left it in the enclosure for a while to see if she would get to it but it just sat there. Wondering how common this is and if it means shes going on a fast. She showed her normal feed response didnt shy away from the mouse or anything. Now the mouse did get loose her first strike. I feed live for the time being as i have yet to have luck with F/T so she struck and went to coil and i think maybe she got bit or something and then let loose and mouse took off. Re-offered the mouse and she took it then just didnt eat it. Looking for any info from those that have had this experience.
    0.1 Woma Pinstripe "Gemma"
    0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    0.1 Rio(Super Arroyo) "Wendy"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Ghost "Unser"
    1.0 KillerBee Yellow Belly "Half-Sack"

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty common with ball python sooner or later it does happen whether it's one to two skip meals to a fast. There are few things that come into play such as husbandry, size, season etc.

A skip meal here and there is no biggy and if you are dealing with a fast the only thing you can do is assess your husbandry, address what can be addressed and be patient.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Feeding question

But is it common for them to still strike, constrict but then leave the mouse? When i first got her home she wouldnt eat but she wouldnt strike either. She would just shy away from the mouse. Gave her a few weeks and since then every 5 days like clock work. I just dont understand why she would give a feed response and take the mouse but not consume it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"

Thanks

Also as far as husbandry my temps are solid. 90 hot 84 cool, 40-50% humidity just varying between mistings, identical hides on each side, fresh water so dont think i have any issues there.

0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I had that happen once when feeding a live mouse, and now that I think about it I'm thinking that I may have just taken the mouse out too soon or checked up on her too soon. I've had several snakes constrict and kill the mice, when I open the tub they are just sitting there with the mouse by them, but left alone they all will usually eat. What I do now is I feed all my snakes and leave them alone for the night and check on them in the morning. Once in awhile I'll find a dead mouse, almost always from a frozen thawed, but they usually are all gone. I usually feed fresh killed or frozen thawed, I just don't like to take the risk with feeding live unless I have a really skinny snake that refuses everything else.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 10-07-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

Yea i plan on transitioning to frozen thawed but given it took a while to first get her to eat ive stuck with live for the time being. I left the mouse in there for a couple hours figured that was long enough. Ill let her sit for a few days and offer another. Since shes been eating consistently im thinking soon ill try and transition to F/T. Hopefully its an easy switch.

0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OTorresUSMC View Post
    Yea i plan on transitioning to frozen thawed but given it took a while to first get her to eat ive stuck with live for the time being. I left the mouse in there for a couple hours figured that was long enough. Ill let her sit for a few days and offer another. Since shes been eating consistently im thinking soon ill try and transition to F/T. Hopefully its an easy switch.

I would wait 5-7 days before offering another meal. Offering to soon after a refusal can cause more refusals especially if she was spooked by something the last feeding. Best thing to do is let her be and try again in a week.

Switching to f/t can be easy or can take some time, the way you thaw the prey and offer is very important (as well as husbandry) to be successful in switching. There's different methods in thawing and offering prey, members on this forum including myself would be more than happy to give advice on f/t prep if you want any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks

SUCCESS!!! Wasnt even going to attempt a feed to day but while working in his enclosure he kept poking out of his hide and "sniffing" the air with his tounge so figured hey maybe hes hungry. Took him about 4 strikes to finally latch on, think his wobble is a problem for him, but he finally took hold and promptly swallowed that sucker. Its only 2 feedings in just over a month but i suppose for a ball python it could be worse. I just want to make sure and get his weight up as the plan is to breed him next season. In any event thanks for all your replies and this story has a happy ending lol

0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Awesome! Just a note for the future, when mine start the whole kill-it-and-leave-it-so-I-find-a-rotten-stinking-feeder-the-following-day routine, I increase the number of days between feedings. So, if that BP was on a weekly schedule then it goes onto a ten day schedule.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

OTorresUSMC (10-15-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Awesome! Just a note for the future, when mine start the whole kill-it-and-leave-it-so-I-find-a-rotten-stinking-feeder-the-following-day routine, I increase the number of days between feedings. So, if that BP was on a weekly schedule then it goes onto a ten day schedule.
    Ok that makes sense. I cant remember for sure now but i think the one he left was a second attempt after he kept striking out on his actual feed day so it may actually have been longer. I have mine on a 5 day schedule right now as they are both not quite a year old. But definitely if he does that again that sounds like good advice. Maybe hes just not an every 5 days kind of guy lol

0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast