Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

1 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Regurgitation: please HELP

The same ball python in rescued from Petco recently ate his third meal. Live, constricted and eaten all on his own. Great! Except just now I checked in on him and he regurgitated his rat fuzzy.
    I know the first thing people recommend is checking husbandry, heat, humidty, etc. These thing should be on point, so my concern is actually when I can tell feeding him again.
    I saw someone say that because regurgitation is so hard on the body, to wait a few weeks before trying again? I hope not, because this little guy can't go too much longer without food. He weighed 46 grams when I brought him home, after 2 successful meals weighed 51, and is now back down to 49 grams. He looks so skinny....
    I know that him being a petstore rescue there's just a good chance he may not make it because he was so unhealthy beforehand...
    He desperately needs to gain weight.
    Any advice?
    0.1 Normal, 1.1 Butter, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 Piebald, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Super Mojave, 1.0 Banana, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Black Pewter, 1.0 Champagne, 0.1 Enchi Lesser, 0.0.1 Pastave, 1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider
    0.1 Albino Western Hognose 0.0.1 Western Hognose 1.0 Mexican Black King, 0.1 Albino Nelson Milk, 1.0 Checkered Garter, 1.1 Coastal Rosy Boa, 1.0 Arizona Rosy Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Wait two weeks and offer prey a size smaller than what he has been eating. I would try a mouse fuzzy, something only 2-3 grams.

While you are waiting make sure your snake has access to plenty of water and his enclosure isn't too dry.

Also go to TheBeanFarm.com and get some NutriBAC, it's a reptile probiotic. Dust a pinch of the powder on his next feeder. It will help re-establish his good gut flora.
    http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php?products_id=5933

Wait a week and if he keeps that down offer another dusted mouse fuzzy. If all goes well offer a mouse hopper after another week, then keep him on a weekly (or longer interval) feeding schedule from now on.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-07-2016 at 03:45 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-07-2016),BPGator (10-07-2016),Fraido (10-07-2016),GoingPostal (10-07-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to wait 2 weeks before attempting to feed again, it's VERY important not doing so and not giving him the proper time to recover could KILL him this is how serious it is, if he has had two meals appropriate meal in him he will be fine.

Now for the regurgitation itself it can be several things

Handling too soon after a meal

Bad feeder if you feed F/T

Stress

Improper temperatures not facilitating proper digestion

Internal parasite

If it occurs gain next time you feed and everything else has checked out a vet visit will be in order to get a fecal done.

My concern here is you mention 2 meals and only a gain of 5 grams, that is very little gain after two meals depending on how you go about your weighing procedure. If you first weigh the animal full and the second time on empty that would explain it if not there is an issue there IMO, an animal fed two appropriate sized meal and with no bowel movement since the last weigh in should put on more than 5 grams.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-07-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-07-2016),BPGator (10-07-2016),PitOnTheProwl (10-07-2016),Trisnake (10-08-2016)

Thanks
    He's had bowel movements since he's eaten, or else II'm sure we would weigh more.

So you guys think that even with him being as emaciated as he is, he can last another 2 weeks without food?... (I'm only asking, not trying to sound rude at all). I'm just very concerned with how tiny snd underweight he already is.
    0.1 Normal, 1.1 Butter, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 Piebald, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Super Mojave, 1.0 Banana, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Black Pewter, 1.0 Champagne, 0.1 Enchi Lesser, 0.0.1 Pastave, 1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider
    0.1 Albino Western Hognose 0.0.1 Western Hognose 1.0 Mexican Black King, 0.1 Albino Nelson Milk, 1.0 Checkered Garter, 1.1 Coastal Rosy Boa, 1.0 Arizona Rosy Boa

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Regurgitation: please HELP

Quote Originally Posted by VanSickel_Balls View Post
    He's had bowel movements since he's eaten, or else II'm sure we would weigh more.

So you guys think that even with him being as emaciated as he is, he can last another 2 weeks without food?... (I'm only asking, not trying to sound rude at all). I'm just very concerned with how tiny snd underweight he already is.
    Have you ever dealt with a hatchling that doesn't want to get with the program?
    I have had some go 8 to 12 weeks before taking their first meal.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts

If he ate twice before the regurge he should be ok for two weeks. If you feed too soon it can cause another regurge which will set him back even further or even kill him.

The next time he poops save it and take it to an exotic vet to have a fecal done, and specifically ask for the crypto test as well as for worms. Normally I wouldn't bother after just one regurge but given his history you will want to rule out internal parasites sooner rather than later. In the meantime he needs to be isolated well away from any other herps you have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Have you ever dealt with a hatchling that doesn't want to get with the program?
    I have had some go 8 to 12 weeks before taking their first meal.
    No, and certainly not to this degree. It's not a hatchling I hatched or picked up from a responsible breeder. Its a hatchling who'd already been starved by a petstore for who knows how many weeks already, and thus my concern. I'm sure if they could give me the exact date of his last feedings and how long he had already been off feed I would feel better. As it is, they're more concerned with denying the reality of his critical state.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If he ate twice before the regurge he should be ok for two weeks. If you feed too soon it can cause another regurge which will set him back even further or even kill him.

The next time he poops save it and take it to an exotic vet to have a fecal done, and specifically ask for the crypto test as well as for worms. Normally I wouldn't bother after just one regurge but given his history you will want to rule out internal parasites sooner rather than later. In the meantime he needs to be isolated well away from any other herps you have.
    Thank you! As long as I'm assured he should be okay for another 2 weeks then that's what I'll do! I certainly wouldn't want to cause his body more stress with another regurge.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

According to your description he has had two recent meals so yes he will be fine, however if fed too soon a second regurgitation will more than likely occur and will likely be fatal.

Ultimately YOU have to make the decision, if it was my animal I would wait 2 weeks.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    According to your description he has had two recent meals so yes he will be fine, however if fed too soon a second regurgitation will more than likely occur and will likely be fatal.

Ultimately YOU have to make the decision, if it was my animal I would wait 2 weeks.
    I really wasn't sure. I've never been in a situation like this with any of my snakes, let alone one so starved. But I feel better now about waiting with all of your helpful responses. This is all very helpful as I'm still learning how to best adapt and take care of his specific needs. 2 weeks it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast