Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

3 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

My snake isn't spending much time in his hides.

Hello all, I'm a brand new snake mom and I wanted to introduce myself and my buddy. I also want to make sure my husbandry is correct. I apologize for following the form so closely but I just want to be sure I don't leave out any pertinent info.

1. How long have you had your ball python?
    I've had him 5 days.

2. How old (or how big) is your snake?
    He's just over 3 months old and 90g.

3. Does it eat on a regular schedule?
    I'm trying his first feed this coming saturday. He's taken f/t rat fuzzies so that's what I'm offering him to start. Before that at the breeder he was eating regularly.

4. How long since its last meal?
    2 weeks - The breeder said he likes to buffer a week before shows to prevent any chance of regurgitation. The additional week is from me waiting for my snake to settle I've read on a number of care sheets that a week is usually sufficient.

5. What type/size prey is being offered?
    Rat fuzzy

6. How often do you offer food?
    I'm planning on every 4 days or so for now.

7. What type and size of enclosure does it live in?
    He lives in a 14qt sterilite tub with a locking lid.

8. What are you using as substrate? If it has depth, how deep is it?
    I'm using paper towel for now.

9. What type of heating do you use?
    I've got 4" flexwatt tape. It covers about 25% of one end. I also use a red basking light for ambient temperature. I am not certain if this is actually enough heated space for him, he can curl up nicely on it but I am considering getting a heating pad with a bigger surface area so I can cover closer to 1/3 of his tub floor.

10. Do you use a thermostat to control temperatures?
    Yeah, I have a Herpstat Intro V2.

11. What do you use to measure/monitor temperatures?
    I have a temp/hygro probe on the cool end for measuring ambient temperatures and a temp gun. It seems to measure a little erratically so I'm acquiring another through amazon that has excellent ratings.

12. What are the surface and ambient temperatures in the enclosure?
    On the hot side its 91F and ambient temperature is between 78F and 80F.

13. What is the average humidity level?
    For the first few days it was too high at almost 100% and I've been steadily lowering it with additional ventilation holes. Now its at 62%. I am considering making a few more holes to bring it to 50% so I can cover more up as needed for shed cycles. The snake lives in my fish room which has an ambient humidity of 46% on average so I am not too worried about keeping humidity up.

14. How many and what type of hides does the snake have?
    He has two, identical small hides that hug him on all sides. They are plain black reptile hides like you'd see on ebay after searching for 'snake hide'.

15. Is water readily available at all times?
    Yes, I change it every other day or whenever I see debris of any kind in it.

16. Does the snake live alone or does it share the enclosure with anything else?
    He's alone.

17. How often and for how long is the snake typically handled?
    As little as possible for now. I had to take him out to clean out a poo he left in one of his hides though as he kept attempting to leave the bin as I was cleaning.

18. Does the snake have any medical history (old injuries or illnesses)?
    No

19. Do you have any other reptiles? Have you brought in any new reptiles recently?
    This ball python is my only snake or reptile.

20. Is there anything specific or unique about your situation that we should be aware of?
    I see my snake out of his hide A LOT. Specifically in the last 2-3 days I've seen him out both at night, in the morning, and when I get home from work. He's not stargazing but he's going around the edges of the tub, pushing his snout at the top/edges. His breathing is clear, there is no mucus and appears to just be 'exploring' with a steady tongue flick and an alert demeanor. I just know he's really supposed to be chilling in his hides and not running around his cage. Its making me nervous! The last thing is I can see a bit of clouding or blueing on the upper portion of his eye. Could this be the start of a shed or is it a problem? I can take a picture later if he comes out. Anything you guys can tell me would help me feel a lot less nervous about my new friend. I care deeply about the care of my animals and I want the best for him. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: My snake isn't spending much time in his hides.

The first few days are often spent exploring a new enclosure, and looking for more snug places to hide and/or escape routes. Some rack-raised babies don't know about hides, but it sounds like that isn't the case with yours, since he has been in and out.

And some BPs just seem less hidey than others, or prefer a different type of hide - we had one that as a baby had to be put in a hide to get the idea, and then only wanted a top-entrance one (she's outgrown that).

Give him some more time, and maybe something else to hide in/under - artificial plants or crumpled-up paper. And remember that in little snake brains, "they can't see you" equals "you can't see them".

The eyes are probably the beginning of shedding. If so, he may find a corner and hunker down once he gets more "blue" and blind, and ignore new hidey-spots until after he sheds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs