Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

0 members and 3,361 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Introduction from a nervous new BP mom!

Hello! I'm Jacaranda (or Jac), and I'm here because I just bought my first ball python yesterday! His name is Cosmo, and he's a little hatchling. He was sold to me as a normal, but he has some markings that are kind of "off" for a normal, so my friend and I think that he's a bit of a mystery bag!

I'm posting here because I'm a little nervous about being a snake mom. I'm going on 20 years old, and this guy could potentially be around until I'm 50! I want to give Cosmo the best home possible. Some of my "friends" bullied me about getting a snake and said that I would end up neglecting him. The thought of that makes me cry. Another one of my good friends has been assuring me that I'm going to be a great snake owner! This friend has a yearling BP of her own, and is training to become a vet. I think she knows what she's talking about. :p Still, I'm worried sick about the bullies who are telling me that I'm going to do a bad job with him. What if I do? I still haven't picked Cosmo up from the shop. I still have a few supplies to pick up before I'm ready to bring him home. Are these new snake jitters normal? This is something that I've been thinking about and researching for almost a year now! All advice is welcome!

Thanks!!! 🐍

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Welcome!!
    If you read over this caresheet and get the required equipment, not equipment the pet shop suggests, you should be fine! http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Most first time ball python owners make the mistake of buying everything the pet shop tells them to buy, and often times, most of the stuff is either worthless or not suitable for a ball python. Doing your research online is the key... and then there's no reason to feel jittery!

Ignore the haters- snakes are the single most misunderstood animals in the world, imo, and we need to vouch for them.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Ana Maria (10-05-2016),Fraido (10-05-2016),GoingPostal (10-06-2016),Jacaranda (10-04-2016),KingWheatley (10-06-2016)

Thanks

Re: Introduction from a nervous new BP mom!

Thanks!! I just got some little things for his enclosure. Still feeling nervous, but I know that he's going to be great!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Best information is the care sheets. Don't assume the pet store has any clue, 'cause chances are they don't. The better supplies can be found on line and usually for a lower price.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Jacaranda (10-04-2016),KingWheatley (10-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Welcome! Congrats on your new snake!

Thanks
    Congrats and welcome. Sounds like you are doing your research and that's a good thing. What kind of enclosure are you planning on keeping him in?
    6.10 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas - "Marco and Esmeralda"
    1.0 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python - "Rossi"
    1.1 Boa Imperator Rescues - "Clifford and Bonnie"
    0.1 Hog Island Boa - "Luna"
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa - "Sage"

RIP Wintre
    My iHerp Page

Thanks

I'm going utilitarian style! The shop that I bought him from recommended plastic because it's better at keeping the desired temperatures and humidity! I live in a cold mountain climate, so this is important!

Thanks

We rescued ours from Petco. Talk about a place that knows nothing about anything.

I've heard that most new bp owners are worried/nervous about being bitten. Don't be. It's not that bad. Or so I've heard lol mine has never bitten! She's the best. Except that she has escaped...I need to invest in a latching system.

Thanks

I'm not worried about that at all! I volunteered at the shop where I bought him from for several months before actually taking the plunge, and I never got bitten! Even if he does bite me someday, my cat could probably do a lot more damage! My anxiety is starting to settle, but I keep worrying that I'll make a mistake while caring for him. Some of my "friends" made some really nasty comments saying that I would end up neglecting him after the "newness" wears off. I really don't want them to be right. I love my little dude! Also, I'm 19 going on 20. I know that reptiles are a popular pet for a lot of 20-somethings, but they can live for 20-30 years! I want to give Cosmo the best life possible over 20-30 years, but I'm worried that some unforeseen situation will cause us to part ways.

I'm very thankful to be able to talk to you guys! I also have a great support net of real friends (not those dummies who said I'd ignore my baby), and they're all telling me that my nervousness means that I'm going to take great care of Cos!

Thanks
    Welcome!! You are going good to LOVE being a snake momma!!!!

I had wanted a bp since I was 16 and just got a 3 year old female at 32! Even after wanting one for 16 years, I wondered if I had made a mistake after bringing her home. But, very soon, I knew it was the best decision ever and I'm so in love with her!!

Honestly, you are going good to love it!!!!!
    1.0 hubby
    1.1 American Bulldog Cross (Moses, Olivia)
    0.1 Spider Ball Python (Yzma)
    0.1 BEL (Super Mojave) Ball Python (Willow)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Ripley)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast