Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

3 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Gourment Rodent? Black Friday sales?

Yes hello friends. I'm new to this delightful hobby, and I'm still getting all my supplies together for my first ball python. I've got everything except a spray bottle, an established supplier of food for le snek, and.. the snake itself. I'm rather hoping for either a hatchling Cinnamon or a hatchling Calico(both hopefully established and all that). Currently, after buying everything else, I only have 8 USD or so left. I'm a teen who has to pay for everything themselves, as this is MY goal and MY animal. Needless to say, as many others do, I'd rather love something of good quality at an affordable price.

I saw a few Calico 'babies' for sale on the Gourment rodent website.. With shipping and all that considered, it would be around 100$. Is it worth it? How would prices be affected on Cyber Sunday? Is there anyway to get a deal or a coupon? Or, all you esteemed knowledgeable herp vets, is there another site I should try? I live in Alabama.. so there aren't any reasonably distanced shows around, or all my plots and plans would revolve around it. Also, if I may, since I have only one snek(or will) should I just buy attic mice from petco/petsmart?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If you have a facebook, join the "ball pythons classified" groups and ask there. Many hobby breeders and also bigger breeders are in these groups, and their prices shipped to your door can be much lower.

Also check faunaclassifieds.com, a lot of good hobby breeders there too, but be sure to check the BOI.

Often times, hobby breeders big or small won't have an established website, maybe just a facebook page or they post in those facebook groups.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-03-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

Re: Gourment Rodent? Black Friday sales?

Thank you! I despise social media, but I suppose I could use my mom's. (╯°□°)╯︵ Ʞooqǝɔɐɟ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cin View Post
    Yes hello friends. I'm new to this delightful hobby, and I'm still getting all my supplies together for my first ball python. I've got everything except a spray bottle, an established supplier of food for le snek, and.. the snake itself. I'm rather hoping for either a hatchling Cinnamon or a hatchling Calico(both hopefully established and all that). Currently, after buying everything else, I only have 8 USD or so left. I'm a teen who has to pay for everything themselves, as this is MY goal and MY animal. Needless to say, as many others do, I'd rather love something of good quality at an affordable price.

I saw a few Calico 'babies' for sale on the Gourment rodent website.. With shipping and all that considered, it would be around 100$. Is it worth it? How would prices be affected on Cyber Sunday? Is there anyway to get a deal or a coupon? Or, all you esteemed knowledgeable herp vets, is there another site I should try? I live in Alabama.. so there aren't any reasonably distanced shows around, or all my plots and plans would revolve around it. Also, if I may, since I have only one snek(or will) should I just buy attic mice from petco/petsmart?
    Honestly, I'd wait to get a bit more of a money buffer before you get anything. Get the entire habitat setup, make sure to get all the husbandry right then go ahead and get your snake, but I would get from a reptile show. You can get a better price and avoid the shipping charge. They have a few Repticons coming up in your area.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Honestly, I'd wait to get a bit more of a money buffer before you get anything. Get the entire habitat setup, make sure to get all the husbandry right then go ahead and get your snake, but I would get from a reptile show. You can get a better price and avoid the shipping charge. They have a few Repticons coming up in your area.
    Really? I've heard of a few shows two hours away but.. gah, I've a few more hours of research of planning ahead

And yes, that's the plan. I have everything except the snake and a spray bottle.. and money, but some yard work is coming up I can help the fam with for more than a pretty pennies. I appreciate your reply!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cin View Post
    Really? I've heard of a few shows two hours away but.. gah, I've a few more hours of research of planning ahead

And yes, that's the plan. I have everything except the snake and a spray bottle.. and money, but some yard work is coming up I can help the fam with for more than a pretty pennies. I appreciate your reply!
    And the only reason I say this is because anything could go wrong and you may need a vet visit. On top of that it's not guaranteed they'll stay eating frozen food which means you may have to use live food. At least by going to a show you can talk to the breeder first hand and go from there, If it's 2 hours away then yea that may not be ideal. Next day shipping on a snake may run you $30 or so anyways if not more, depending on the breeder. And no problem, we're all here to help.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Boy do I love this website..
    due no howwe spokan engrush. ???