Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

2 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assist feed

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Assist feed

Some of you may remember a few weeks back I picked up a small albino, it was more of a rescue. Was told it was 90 grams but when I saw it I didn't think so. I weighted it in at 74 grams. Well she took a weened mouse the day after I got her. A small meal for her, but since has hid from anything I try to give her. I am wondering if she ever ate for the people that had her originally. Well weighed her on Friday and down to 69 grams and she looks thin. Offered live mouse fuzzy this weekend and she showed no interest. Then thought maybe she wants a rat pinky. No interest again. Then tried a f/t weened mouse. No interest. Well when I say no interest I mean she tongue flicks, Gets close, then runs and hides. The one weened mouse she ate she seemed to have a hard time killing. The thing was kicking for 5 plus minutes. Well today I decided to assist and she can't afford to loose anymore weight. On my fifth try she swallowed. I was so happy.

What at do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    Try again next feeding day and hope for the best
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Assist feed

Before you do anything can you please describe your setup in detail, from enclosure size to tempertures, how and where you measure them, substrate, hides etc

What have you tried husbandry wise?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-02-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Enclosure is spot on, unless humidity should be higher for the listless girl. Humidity stable at 54-60. Hot spot at 90 dead on, actually take readings on it daily to make sure. Close side at 79-82. She is in a three inch high tub, hides on cool and warm side. Tub is about 12" by 10". Like a pencil box but a little bit larger. Uth hooked up to a herpstat 2.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Urinate.

She has passed one solid bowel and seems to pee about every third day, which is odd to me. Is this something to worry about?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    Enclosure is spot on, unless humidity should be higher for the listless girl. Humidity stable at 54-60. Hot spot at 90 dead on, actually take readings on it daily to make sure. Close side at 79-82. She is in a three inch high tub, hides on cool and warm side. Tub is about 12" by 10". Like a pencil box but a little bit larger. Uth hooked up to a herpstat 2.
    Lower your temperture to 86 and use aspen or coconut chips as substrate (1 to 2 inches in depth), if your hides are still cartonboards, switch to a 6 inches plastic flower pot saucer, if your tub is bigger than 6 quarts change that too.

Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Lower your temperture to 86 and use aspen or coconut chips as substrate (1 to 2 inches in depth), if your hides are still cartonboards, switch to a 6 inches plastic flower pot saucer, if your tub is bigger than 6 quarts change that too.

Lower the temps? The hot spot is under the paper towels, I am sure it is a bit lower through the paper towels and hide box. Are cardboard hides bad? I have never had issues with them. I find them nice cause I just toss them when they get dirty. Easy cleanup. I am guessing the container has more surface area than a 6 qt, but bet if I measures volume it holds it would be less. It's like half the height of a sterolite 6 qt.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    Lower the temps? The hot spot is under the paper towels, I am sure it is a bit lower through the paper towels and hide box. Are cardboard hides bad? I have never had issues with them. I find them nice cause I just toss them when they get dirty. Easy cleanup. I am guessing the container has more surface area than a 6 qt, but bet if I measures volume it holds it would be less. It's like half the height of a sterolite 6 qt.
    Yes lower the temps , change your substrate and change your hides to provide an optimum setup, than wait a week no handling and offer a live hopper mouse.

Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bcycling (10-02-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks.

I'll give it a try. If she refuses do I assist feed again? I hate doing it, although I was never happier to see a snake actually eat.

Also, we have only handled her to clean out her enclosure and today to assist feed. We are just letting her chill until she starts putting some weight on

Thanks

I feel your pain, we have a problem eater corn snake. I saw on snakebytes (BHB reptiles) they will dip a pinky mouse in tuna. We tried it and she seemed interested but just wouldn't bite. Anyways good luck.

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast