Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

0 members and 3,067 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: GTP or ETB?

Thanks

GTP or ETB?

I've done a lot of research and have decided GTPs and ETBs meet my house requirements well so know it's to find one. But I can't really tell the difference in personality, price, and a few other things maybe some experts out there could answer for me. So what I know is GTPs start out at yellow or red, there is different localities with more defensive ones like biaks and more tame ones like aru, sorong, jayapura. They both get around 3-6 foot ETBs a bit bigger than GTPs, so ETBs eat bigger meals but less often. I know it's hard to find GTPs and ETBs captive bred and born and especially hard to find ETBs. (Anyone know a good GTP etb breeder?). Also, they have the same heating/humidity requirements and pretty much the same caging requirements. And for ETBs there is Amazon basin which is hard to find, expensive, much cooler than northerns, bigger, and more docile. And northerns are smaller, easier to find, cheaper. But which are "generally more tame" I know specific animals are different but is GTP or etb more tame, in general. Also, in your guys experience which is more tame, less expensive, and eats better? This keeping in mind is that I'd get captive bred and born not farm bred or wild caught. Anyways any pros and cons of them or anysecret tips would be helpful on any part of their care. And lastly are they really as defensive and fragile as they say they are even once past their spine has developed? Thanks for taking your time to read this

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    There are many captive bred GTP these days, not hard to find- if you have facebook, I suggest joining the group called "Green Tree Pythons~ Buy, Sell, Chat, Trade" or something like that. It's more active with discussion and chatting than the other groups, and you can get a lot of help from keepers and breeders there if you post. ETB breeders are relatively harder to find, but Harlin Wall (on facebook too) is a great guy, and many other breeders and keepers gave me recommendations to him back when I was looking for a captive bred ETB!

Captive bred ETB are much more expensive than GTP... And getting tagged by an ETB is a much bigger deal too.

Captive bred ETB can be just as calm as captive bred GTP, just depends on the individual snake. Some can get used to a bit of handling, some will stay defensive for life. (And rare ones can be handled as regularly as a ball python, but don't bet on finding one like that... just mentioning in advance) The infamous nasty reputation of ETB is mostly from the wild caught/farm bred ones.

They're really only fragile with handling when they're juvies.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-25-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks

Re: GTP or ETB?

Yea I'll probably end up going with a yearling sorong, I just love the possible blue dorsal stripe they can get, I'll make sure to post pictures once I get one. Which will be roughly 2 months around Christmas time I guess. Since it sounds like you've kept both which do you like more ? Thanks
    Last edited by BallpythonsRCool; 09-25-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Neat!

I haven't kept both- I just seriously considered an ETB for awhile before I decided on a GTP, so I looked into both and talked to breeders of both. I currently just have my Aru girl. That facebook group really is a great resource for you though, lots of nice breeders there.

Thanks
    Upon thorough reading , If I'm going to choose between Captive bred ETB to GTP. I would go for "Emerald Tree Boa" or ETB for its good reputation and easy to handle compared to GTP or the "Green Tree Python".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmartShabby View Post
    Upon thorough reading , If I'm going to choose between Captive bred ETB to GTP. I would go for "Emerald Tree Boa" or ETB for its good reputation and easy to handle compared to GTP or the "Green Tree Python".
    What... Lol

I think you might have switched ETB and GTP. If you didn't, each USCBB snake is still an individual and I wouldn't call either of them "easy to handle" like a ball python would be. Not sure where the "thorough reading" came from, but ETB are the ones with a nasty reputation from their wild caught/farm bred animals.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmartShabby View Post
    Neither is easy to handle, so I wouldn't base the decision off of that at all.

Base it off of the looks, price and the size.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)