Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,087

0 members and 3,087 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Tips and Advice for first time Ball Python Owner

Hey Guys...
    I am a long-time ball python enthusiast, but have just recently talked my wife (who has always had a fear of snakes) into agreeing to bring a ball python into our house. So, I have already set-up and purchased a Firefly male, who will be shipped to me at the start of October. I have the enclosure set-up and was just wanting to get feedback from more experienced people on changes I need to make or something I could make better. Here are 2 pictures of my set-up:

Also, just curious as to what would be the one most important piece of advice that you would give to someone like me who is a first time owner.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Pics aren't showing.
    0.1 Red tail boa
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.1 Enchi BP
    0.1 Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Argentine BW Tegu
    0.1 Blue tongue Skink

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Looks fine to me, so long as that 1 heat mat is enough to maintain the proper temps.

Thanks

Re: Tips and Advice for first time Ball Python Owner

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

Sorry. Here are the pictures!

Thanks

I am going to plug everything up this weekend and let it run to monitor where the temps are. If the one heat mat isn't enough, what would be my alternatives?

Thanks

So far, you seem to be doing a good job with the enclosure.

What are your temps without using the heat mat? From the pictures you posted it seems your thermometer reads 74/75ºF. If that's the case, once you have your heat mat running you will most likely be able to maintain proper temperatures.

However if one heat mat is not enough to achieve proper temps, you can use a 2nd one on your cool side and set it to 80ºF. That way you ensure your slithery fellow has the proper temperatures all the time.

You might want to start thinking about covering, at least, 3 sides of that tub since it is a clear one and ball pythons aren't really fans of being exposed.

Now some questions:

- Do you have that heat mat plugged into a thermostat? If not, don't use that heat mat until you have a thermostat for it or you will most likely burn your scaly buddy.
    - Where is your thermometer probe placed and your thermostat probe?
    - How big is the male you're gonna get? (His weight)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dmt_jovi For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-28-2016)

Thanks

The temps without anything being turned on is about 74/75. I didn't think about covering 3 of the sides, but that does make sense. I will definitely do that. Even though the tub is in a spare bedroom where the lights are rarely turned on and no one usually goes in there at all during the day.

I do have a thermostat to plug the heat map into. I haven't plugged it up and tried it yet, but plan on doing that this weekend. As far as probes go. The thermostat probe is located directly in the middle of the hot side, under the substrate. The thermostat probe I haven't placed yet. I have seen conflicting views. Some say in between the tub and heat mat and some say just on the outside of the heat map. Would love your thoughts on that?

And then lastly, the snake I am getting is currently around 120 grams. As far as maximum weight, i'm not sure. I assume I will have to move up in tub size eventually. But I will just adjust that to how quickly he grows.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmt_jovi View Post
    You might want to start thinking about covering, at least, 3 sides of that tub since it is a clear one and ball pythons aren't really fans of being exposed.
    I would wrap dark material around 3 sides and part of the front so the little snake will have 4 corners to curl up or hide in. And a little more clutter.

Also maybe put holes in the top to prevent condensation and improve air flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bvilletigers10 View Post
    Hey Guys...
    I am a long-time ball python enthusiast, but have just recently talked my wife (who has always had a fear of snakes) into agreeing to bring a ball python into our house. So, I have already set-up and purchased a Firefly male, who will be shipped to me at the start of October. I have the enclosure set-up and was just wanting to get feedback from more experienced people on changes I need to make or something I could make better. Here are 2 pictures of my set-up:

Also, just curious as to what would be the one most important piece of advice that you would give to someone like me who is a first time owner.

Thanks.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm,,,, Let me see.

Tips???

Start working on your wife now for the next snake, because this is how it starts my friend LOL!

I started out with "just one" royal and a wife that wasn't and still isn't into snakes.

I have a reticulated python coming next Tuesday.

Welcome to the addiction.

Looks like you are doing fine.

And advice???

Have fun; it's a great hobby IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast