Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

0 members and 3,200 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Want something fancy, but not a PVC cage or a tank

I'm getting a new snake, I like tubs and think they're perfect! However, I'm getting tired of the boring and simple look. But I don't want a tank nor a pvc cage. I want a tub that can look like a display cage but still good for him, If you guys have any pics please leave them here! Like reptichip or mulch with fake plants and some branches so he can climb on, I literally want a mini Jungle! Haha
    Last edited by danielwilu2525; 09-20-2016 at 03:28 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What is it that you like about a tub and don't like about a display cage? Is it because you know how to provide the right temps and humidity in a tub and you're afraid you won't be able to in a PVC or wood enclosure? Because it sounds like a display cage of some kind is what you really want.

If you poke around the DIY forum there are a few posts where people have converted things like bookcases, shelves, armoires, etc, into some really impressive and gorgeous enclosures. It does not mean compromising on temperatures and humidity in the slightest, it just requires a slightly different setup. But there are lots of threads that tell you how to do that, too.

Thanks

Re: Want something fancy, but not a PVC cage or a tank

Yes and also I don't have the money/space right now for a PVC/display cage. I've seen some gorgeous transformations to a tub enclosure, I want some Inspiration, google isn't help haha.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    There are some tubs with a see-thru portion or more transparent additional door on one side, and some that are fairly transparent generally. Not as clear as glass, but you can see in more or less. You can also keep an eye out on Craigslist for used cages.
    But this person's Tumblr has some nice setups in both tanks and display cages that you can probably get some inspiration from at least: http://rainbowsnakes.tumblr.com/snakesetups

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    By new snake do you mean new ball? Keep in mind they don't live in the jungle so creating a "mini jungle" will be mostly unappreciated besides it's more natural hide. If it's a bigger enclosure then the clutter will definitely be needed. When I switch from 15qt to 28qt tubs I put some dollar store vine in the tub to add some extra cover while it gets used to the bigger space.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I didn't figure OP meant a literal jungle... but we all use non-native plants and furnishings in snake cages anyway, so as long as the conditions are otherwise correct, you could make it look like a coral reef for all it would matter. Sandy-colored aspen on the bottom, various rocky-looking shelters, fake sea fans and coral and anemones, etc, and an aquarium background.

The snake benefits from having visual barriers, stuff to climb, hides and shelters, etc (along with correct temperatures and humidity of course!) but otherwise won't care if the decor includes a real plant originating in South America next to a fake plant made to look like one from Asia on top of a stick that originally grew in Oregon and a hide shaped like a kangaroo skull with a background picture of Darth Vader sitting in a mangrove swamp with a penguin.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    I need that background!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (09-22-2016)

Thanks

Re: Want something fancy, but not a PVC cage or a tank

You can use vinyl decorative backdrops for fish tanks and vivariums.