Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,293

2 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Lost & Found- A HUGE thank you to all of you!

I'd just like to say a big thanks to people on this site for contributing all of your useful tips and tricks!
    Yesterday afternoon, as I was misting everyone down for the day, I noticed my baby pied's bin (which is off to the side at the moment with a lid instead of rack ceiling due top expansion), one side of the lid was never properly latched. I looked in her bin, and of course, like a curious little BP would, she was gone!
    Immediately, I panicked.
    I tore through the house looking for her, looked in all of the little nooks and crannys (or so I thought), but she was nowhere to be seen.
    After hours of searching I came on here to look for tips on finding escaped BP's and saw many of you had your own escape stories, and has success with the flour or penny trick. I decided to get some flour and line all of the entryways in each room, then set an alarm to wake up around 3:30am, when I thought she'd be most likely to be out and exploring. My alarm went off, and low and behold, there are slither marks through the flour, leading right into our bedroom! I began carefully lifting any remaining things off the floor, and even though it seemed pointless to move a bag I'd already checked behind, I did, and THERE SHE WAS! As a matter of fact, she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the whole experience and looked almost disappointed at being returned to her bin! Ha!
    All of that to say, she is safe and sound once again, and it's thanks to your wonderful tips and tricks that I found her so quickly!
    0.1 Normal, 1.1 Butter, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 Piebald, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Super Mojave, 1.0 Banana, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Black Pewter, 1.0 Champagne, 0.1 Enchi Lesser, 0.0.1 Pastave, 1.0 Enchi Lesser Spider
    0.1 Albino Western Hognose 0.0.1 Western Hognose 1.0 Mexican Black King, 0.1 Albino Nelson Milk, 1.0 Checkered Garter, 1.1 Coastal Rosy Boa, 1.0 Arizona Rosy Boa

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VanSickel_Balls For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-20-2016),Creepy Alien (09-20-2016),enoughbubbles456 (09-21-2016),Hannahshissyfix (09-21-2016),shelpen (09-20-2016)

Thanks

Re: Lost & Found- A HUGE thank you to all of you!

I'm so going to try this. It's difficult when you've got cats, of course... but I might be able to seclude them somewhere at least over night. This is day two of realizing she was even out of her cage. She got dragged out by one of my :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: cats (though honestly we play with strings with cats from birth, so I can't blame them for wanting to compulsively play with one that moves on its own) about a month ago, if even that. She had some wounds. My 14 yr old daughter flipped and panicked that she'd die, but we went out and got all the things suggested, treated her and put her in a clean, smaller tank without substrate, and most importantly a freaking lid LOL. backing up a bit...her normal tank is a 35 gallon TALL and she's not big enough to stretch to the top even on her perch wood. One time we thought she'd escaped. Tore the house apart, then the next day realized she was way up inside the perch's inside...which I hadn't even realized was hollow (D'oh!). So when I didn't see her in the smaller tank which only has a heat pad underneath, a pillowcase for her to curl up in, and a water bowl for soaking at she heals, I figured she was curled up under the pillowcase. She gets handled several times a day and is THE sweetest bp. Though I admit this is our first snake ever, we do have some common sense, I promise. I had no idea she would ever be strong enough to actually push the lid up and squeeze out of there. Especially with the four significant wounds on the upper half of her body. I know whatever cat got her, she scared them off. She was found alive in the bathroom (after that fiaso. we still don't know where she is right now). So definately an actual ESCAPE this time, assuming no one came and robbed us. One other time she got out of her FEEDING tank and just kinda went into the corner of the room to hide. Plenty of places to hide away in the reptile room at our house. Which unfortunately makes for a huge production to look for her, while also trying not to move anything that can potentially hurt or kill her at the same time. UGH! Very stressful.

So...our reptile room is a bit crowded at the moment. It's also my daughter's office (computer room). There's a 55 gal with 3 beardies, a 20 gal with a hatchling iguana (rescue), 2 10 gals each with a leopard gecko, a 20 gal with a crested gecko (we need to downsize that, I know lol), a 20 tall gal with 2 degus (not reptiles...) and last but not least, the 10 gal with the injured snake (who is currently missing). The bp tank was up HIGH above all the others. The lowest beneath it is the degus...who do not have a top on their tank currently. They can't get out. I think she might've fallen into the degu tank after her escape, tried to eat a degu and failed, and fled... or was eaten by the degus. But there would be blood, right? I mean... hellllp LOL.
    Her normal tank is in the living room. I'm considering going to the drawer method thing after all this...but I feel like it's so mean. But they do like hiding in small spaces...so I'm at a loss lol. We do take her out several times a day and she does feed in another area so maybe...

Anyway, I'm gonna give this method a try and report back either way.