Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

3 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

snake situation + question about banana mojave

so as it is right now i recently adopted a 5 year old 0.1 normal from kijiji, she is my first snake (apart from some catch-and-release snake handling in my youth ). however i'm suspect to some neglect from the previous owner as she was in a 3' (30-35gal) tank and she's around 5' long, this seems a bit small for her? as well as her only having a UTH for a 1-5 gal tank which was half peeled off anyway and was barely warm to the touch through the glass (i have since replaced it) and crackled eyes from lack of humidity (she's all clear now!).
    i am in the process of acquiring a second hand 4' tank for her so she has a bit more room for decorations, hides and stretching out but when i have that i will have the smaller tank and i've been thinking of getting a male banana mojave to occupy it.

my question is, do the banana mojaves fade out like some of the other banana morphs? or will he retain a darker colouring into his adulthood?
    0.1 Normal (Garcia)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Cashew)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    however i'm suspect to some neglect from the previous owner as she was in a 3' (30-35gal) tank and she's around 5' long, this seems a bit small for her? as well as her only having a UTH for a 1-5 gal tank which was half peeled off anyway and was barely warm to the touch through the glass (i have since replaced it) and crackled eyes from lack of humidity (she's all clear now!).
    Many adult BP are kept in a 34 x 17 1/2 inches foot print enclosures with a small heat strip no wider than 3 inches providing a hot spot when provided with one.

Hot spot will barely feel hot to the touch that is not how you gauge a proper hot spot when you provide one.

As for low humidity we all at a point or another experience it.

do the banana mojaves fade out like some of the other banana morphs?
    Yes they will.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: snake situation + question about banana mojave

thanks for the info! i still need to get a thermostat but i have a heat spot checker in the meantime my hot side is 93 (is that too high?) and the low side is 74 which should be fine

any insight as to which banana morphs don't fade over time?
    0.1 Normal (Garcia)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Cashew)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I wouldn't

I wouldn't run a heat mat without a thermostat. To much risk of burns IMO

Thanks

Re: snake situation + question about banana mojave

where are you measuring the temperature? on top of the substrate or at the glass adjacent to the heat mat? you want to check it at the heat mat directly adjacent to the glass as that would be the hottest spot your snake can touch. but as bcycling says - you really shouldn't even run it without a thermostat. what's barely warm to you is probably somewhere in the 90's or higher. if you do keep running the heat mat, make sure you have a hide on the cool side so she can go over there.