Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

1 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Opinion: Do you find breeding spiders unethical?

It's a beautiful morph, but there's always the problem with the spider wobble. Curious about both sides of the debate and want to know what you guys think. Thanks!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Opinion: Do you find breeding spiders unethical?

I, well my daughter, has spider in her breeding plans. Yeah, they wobble, some worse than others, but my daughter actually likes how they wobble. Her biggest girl, just weighed in at 1921 grams will hold on tight with her head against her and she won't wobble then. As soon as her head is off she will, kinda interesting to watch. I like them with all their issues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bcycling For This Useful Post:

Maymay (09-18-2016)

Thanks

Recently there was a thread here that had a somewhat in-depth discussion about this topic.
    It's a very interesting read and it might answer some of the questions you may have regarding the ethical issues, snake quality of life, breeding out the issue, among many other topics.

"Why the heck do people keep breeding spider morphs?"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmt_jovi For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (09-19-2016),Maymay (09-18-2016),redshepherd (09-18-2016)

Thanks

I think it gives them character, I only have one carrying spider (killerblast) and he's the snake that I'll let friends afraid of snakes hold, he's an ambassador of sorts, 100% sweetie and my wife things his wob is pretty cute. Not to mention he's among the most aggressive eaters I've ever seen. I feed him in blue even (ft)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BMorrison For This Useful Post:

Maymay (09-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmt_jovi View Post
    Recently there was a thread here that had a somewhat in-depth discussion about this topic.
    It's a very interesting read and it might answer some of the questions you may have regarding the ethical issues, snake quality of life, breeding out the issue, among many other topics.

Best to just look through that thread...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmt_jovi View Post

Thank you for this useful thread!
    Last edited by Maymay; 09-18-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    I find breeding bulldogs unethical. Their lack of genetic diversity and myriad of health problems affecting their quality of life makes me shake my head.

A wobbly snake? Not so much. From what I've learned from people that keep them, even pretty wobbly spider morphs are generally chunky and healthy and good eaters.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfchan For This Useful Post:

Maymay (09-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchan View Post
    I find breeding bulldogs unethical. Their lack of genetic diversity and myriad of health problems affecting their quality of life makes me shake my head.

A wobbly snake? Not so much. From what I've learned from people that keep them, even pretty wobbly spider morphs are generally chunky and healthy and good eaters.
    Right? If we want to rant over health issues in artificial breeding of some animal, we should be looking at pugs and certain lines of English and French Bulldogs, or even King Charles Spaniels (they may not look it, but this breed is just loaded with various health issues... even very reputable breeder dogs). English and french bulldogs literally can't even breathe properly if exercised more intensely. Many require eyedrops their entire lives, due to their bulging eyes causing issues down the line, starting from their puppy year. In some dogs, their flat face wrinkles actually scratch their eyeballs throughout their lives. Same issue goes for many pekingese.

There's no reason not to discuss spider morphs either, because discussion and opinions are good, but I just see it as such a non-issue in comparison. If we are to convince everyone to stop breeding spider morphs, we need to get on that english and french bulldog deal too! LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-18-2016 at 12:30 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Maymay (09-18-2016)

Thanks

In m opinion it's completely unethical to breed a morph you KNOW will have neurological issues, whether those be slight or severe by random chance. The animals life quality should be put over the want to breed a certain morph, for whatever reason that may be.

Reasoning such as "it's pretty", "it sells", "feeds well (provided the wobble allows them to feed at all)" etc are not valid enough to me, and the same counts not only for spiders but every morph which has health issues.

Apparently an unpopular opinion around here, but I strongly don't support it

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    | Call me Mo! | He/Him | Student | [1.0 Pastel Coral Glow Ball Python] |

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morjean For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (09-19-2016),Maymay (09-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morjean View Post
    The animals life quality should be put over the want to breed a certain morph, for whatever reason that may be.
    Most of us don't see the animals quality of life being effected.

Quote Originally Posted by Morjean View Post
    Reasoning such as "it's pretty", "it sells", "feeds well (provided the wobble allows them to feed at all)" etc are not valid enough to me, and the same counts not only for spiders but every morph which has health issues.
    Given how many people in the other thread thought culling spiders is something people do, I have to say something here.

Even if I was to blindly believe the cases of non eating spiders, that accounts for a small fraction of a percentage. I bet significantly more animals pass due to keeper inexperience than anything to do with near mythical non eating spiders.

The only first hand account of a non eating spider I could find was from an inexperienced breeder. Some how breeders can produce thousands of spiders without any eating issues but this guy's first clutch is the one that has the mythical non eater? You can guess what I think is to blame.

Just something to think about when you spread rumors like that.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-18-2016),ballpythonluvr (09-18-2016),Eric Alan (09-18-2016),MontyP2016 (09-19-2016),PitOnTheProwl (09-18-2016),redshepherd (09-18-2016),Seven-Thirty (09-18-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (09-18-2016),STjepkes (09-18-2016)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast