Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
myah,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Got our first albino. She is small, do I have a few questions

So I just got back from the trip to get her. Supposedly her brother is a normal lesser and she is an albino. Is it possible to get a lesser and albinos in the same clutch? . She is small, and I am trying to figure out what to feed her. I was thinking pinky rats before I got her, but now I am wondering if they will be to big? She is about 87 grams. Supposedly has eaten a few pinky mice, but that seems like it might be to small unless she needs assistance eating. What are the thoughts on feeding her? The guy I got her from was only feeding every other week, so she is a bit thin. I am headed to the reptile expo tomorrow and am wondering what to get her to eat? Here is my thought, one live pinky rat to see if she will take it, as a back up a live pinky mouse if she won't take the rat. Then I figured four of each frozen until I see what works and I can hit the next reptile show in two weeks. What are your thoughts?

i would have passed on this snake with how often they were feeding her, but it was practically free and I felt bad for the little girl. This is actually my youngest daughters first snake. Let's see how it goes.

any food help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Bcycling; 09-17-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Registered User thingsthatmakenoise's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Got our first albino. She is small, do I have a few questions

I have a baby that regularly takes down fuzzy rats and she was around 81g at her last weighing. She gets one every four days although she would happily take more, she's a bit of a pig. Live mice hoppers or fuzzy rats should be perfect, pinkies are too small.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I start new babies on pinky rats. Then just move them up in size.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What size if they need assistance. I'm hoping that's not the case but if it is I don't want her to wait another two weeks. It's been two weeks since her last meal so I want to have all possibilities covered

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also is it a normal albino?

I think it's just a normal albino, but how would I tell if it's a lesser albino?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Trying to post a picture. I can't figure it out. Got it in the gallery, but can't get it here.
    Last edited by Bcycling; 09-17-2016 at 09:28 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    17 gram rat would work fine. This should be with hair and eyes closed. Get a scale and weigh the prey. No unfurred rat will weigh more then 10 grams, so no "pinky" rats are not enough. Unfurred mice are always too small for healthy BP babies. No BP will need to be assist fed if they have already eaten, husbandry adjusted-yes, illness cured- yes, assist fed-no.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Assist feed

i don't want to debate the point, but on rare occasions they do refuse to eat as hatchlings. I have experienced this and actually talked to a few big breeders who say they always have a few a year who need assist feeds the first couple of times before they start to take meals on their own. I know these guys have their conditions spot on and still even get some that need help starting. Honestly I was told this girl was eating small just barely fuzz covered mice every two weeks. Way to small if she was taking them on her own. I guess I will see what she thinks of what i get tomorrow. Hoping she just slams them and there is no problem, but I would rather plan for the worse and be prepared verses being out of luck because I can't get small enough food at the local pet shops. I have a scale and 7 other balls, but I never had one that was started on mice so I am a bit perplexed. I am hoping she moves right to rats. Also I am thinking a 10 -14 gram pinky rat is the right size according to her current weight, is this wrong?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    http://ball-pythons.net/gallery/files/6/3/1/0/5/image

I can't figure this out. How frustrating

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bcycling View Post
    http://ball-pythons.net/gallery/files/6/3/1/0/5/image

I can't figure this out. How frustrating
    Try using this website: https://postimage.org/

and then when the image uploads, there's a url that says "direct link" next to it, under the image. Copy and paste that direct url into the "insert image" button here when you post. It's the little square icon of a tree.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 09-17-2016 at 10:43 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bcycling (09-17-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast