Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,263

3 members and 3,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Rodent Nursery Rack

Don't know where to post this but I'm about to start building my rodent racks and one thing I've been told is to do a nursery rack. I wanted to know what kind of tubs people are using to house these mother rodents in there so that they don't chew out. I know cement tubs for breeding and grow out but unsure about this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For birthing tubs (individual birthing) I use freedom breeder http://www.freedombreeder.com/shop/fb10-5 for breeding and communal nursing I use concrete pan http://www.homedepot.com/p/Medium-Mi...101A/202086173

The key for your rat not to chew is to is to put a piece of 2x4 in every tubs , and if you do have chewer you need to get rid of them and their tub mates as they teach one another to chew.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Rodent Nursery Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    For birthing tubs (individual birthing) I use freedom breeder http://www.freedombreeder.com/shop/fb10-5 for breeding and communal nursing I use concrete pan http://www.homedepot.com/p/Medium-Mi...101A/202086173

The key for your rat not to chew is to is to put a piece of 2x4 in every tubs , and if you do have chewer you need to get rid of them and their tub mates as they teach one another to chew.
    So basically put a piece of wood in the tub so they are not temped to chew the tub? Would I have to do that in nurses and grow out tubs too? Also any recommendations on male to female ratio for rats and mice or any other general advice on breeding them? Thanks again TJ

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyreptiles View Post
    So basically put a piece of wood in the tub so they are not temped to chew the tub? Would I have to do that in nurses and grow out tubs too? Also any recommendations on male to female ratio for rats and mice or any other general advice on breeding them? Thanks again TJ

Yep it keeps them busy, I put one in EVERY tub no exception.

The way I bred my rats I have tubs setup with males and I rotate my females, 1 or 2 new females goes in each week (depends on the season, I slow production down in the winter) and pregnant females females are move out to birthing tubs each week as well, so I usually run no more than 1.4 in those tubs.

The key for a good rotation is to have 1 female rat per snake and not having too many female for 1 male at the time.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Yep it keeps them busy, I put one in EVERY tub no exception.

The way I bred my rats I have tubs setup with males and I rotate my females, 1 or 2 new females goes in each week (depends on the season, I slow production down in the winter) and pregnant females females are move out to birthing tubs each week as well, so I usually run no more than 1.4 in those tubs.

The key for a good rotation is to have 1 female rat per snake and not having too many female for 1 male at the time.
    Thank you so much for the help really appreciate it!!!