Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

1 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

First time breeding

Hello. I am new to this forum and hope I'll have better luck here then on the previous site I used... they were a bit mean. I have 3 ball pythons. 2 females and 1 male. My 2 year old female has been matting the past 2 days. I removed the smaller female first. My question is. If my 2 year old ends up with eggs do I keep the snakes separate or can I house them together?? Should I let her keep her eggs or should I remove them?? Please this is my first time breeding... please be kind.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica86 For This Useful Post:

Kinnaday (05-09-2019)

Registered User JakeFromSnakeFarm's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: First time breeding

You'll need to get an incubator set up quickly if you hope for the eggs to hatch. Co habbing (keeping them together) is never really a good idea with ball pythons. Everyone should have their own tub, unless you're breeding a male and female. I only allow my male 3 days in with a female. Get them all their own enclosure and IF you end up with eggs, do some research on properly setting up the incubator and get some hatchling tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JakeFromSnakeFarm For This Useful Post:

Kinnaday (05-09-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Were they mean or did they tell you that you should not keep your BP together?

Food for the thought before thinking about breeding you should really provide proper optimal husbandry for every single animal, such as individual housing.

Multiple housing is stressful and stress is not a good thing when you want to breed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-15-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

No the flat out said. If you don't know the answers to these simple questions you shouldn't be breeding and that was it.

Thanks

Thank you so much. We will deffenatly have to do that. Another question. .... is it normal for a breeding female to refuse food???

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica86 View Post
    Thank you so much. We will deffenatly have to do that. Another question. .... is it normal for a breeding female to refuse food???
    Definitely normal for her to refuse food. Sometimes the males will stop eating as well. It's all apart of the breeding process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm slightly concerned with the weight of your female. Do you know approximately how many grams she weighs?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Butter Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin

0.1 Nic BCI

0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica86 View Post
    Well BP are know to refuse food for various reason one of them being stress, but they will also go off food at some point during breeding however before that they will go into a feeding frenzy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Are your ball pythons morphs of any description? I only ask because if they are normal you may have a difficult time finding homes for them and you may have to keep them and they will all need their own enclosures. I'm not telling you not to breed, I'm just offering some caution for the road ahead.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-15-2016)

Thanks

I always found it so interesting how many people keep snakes separate I'm small cages(with the exception of large scale breeders) after personally experiencing having a male and female ball python live in the same cage together for 8 years and have yet to skip a meal or attack each other. In fact, they just had a clutch and I never once skipped letting them out of their cages regularly or taking them to visit at others houses, handled them regularly and did not separate them until the last week before she dropped her eggs. I don't suggest anyone take a chance of their snakes attacking/stressing each other out. But its interesting how lenient some snakes can be when they are used to being handled a lot. I also have 2 corn snakes living together in another cage (which is how i aquired them). Yet they have obvious recognition of each other and dont avoid each other at all. I just wanted to share my thoughts and personal experience. This is by no means advice nore a suggestion. It was just a cool unique experience it seems others may not agree with. I undersrand that and respect it. QUOTE=Deborah;2469770]Were they mean or did they tell you that you should not keep your BP together?

Food for the thought before thinking about breeding you should really provide proper optimal husbandry for every single animal, such as individual housing.

Multiple housing is stressful and stress is not a good thing when you want to breed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TrueDatxD For This Useful Post:

Kinnaday (05-09-2019)