Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

4 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

The timid python!!

Hello my ball python doesn't really come out of her hide much. The temp is right around 82 at nightwith the red light plus her hide is over a heat mat. She will come half way out of her hide then go straight back in. Why is she not being active? She eats very well but I haven't seen her drink the water please help.

Thanks

Re: The timid python!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyluna69 View Post
    Hello my ball python doesn't really come out of her hide much. The temp is right around 82 at nightwith the red light plus her hide is over a heat mat. She will come half way out of her hide then go straight back in. Why is she not being active? She eats very well but I haven't seen her drink the water please help.
    Ball pythons are nocturnal. I have noticed mine tends to come out (sometimes) at 10pm or so and usually returns to her hide by 1am. Is your red light a nocturnal bulb? Also ballpythons are not very active. Mine sleeps 90% of the time. If she is new she needs time to adjust. If you wear a shirt all day (don't add perfumes or anything) and put it into her enclosure you can help her become more familiar with your smell.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Ball pythons are not display animals. They gonna be in a hide all the time, except for a few hours at night. You won't really see them drinking unless you're really watching, in the 4 months that I've had my BP I've seen her drinking only once.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks

Yes the red light is the night one. And she will come half way out and then turn right around and go back in her hide she was very active the first night we got her now she just hides.

Thanks

I don't think you need to worry. They are often seen as boring due to their low activity level. (I don't think they are boring but I have heard that complaint).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Do you have a thermostat on the heat mat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    The temp is 82 where? How are you testing temps and with what and how are you controlling your heating devices? Hot side temps should be 88-92, cool side high 78-low 80s. Hiding is completely normal for a ball python and pretty much what you can expect them to do 98% of the time when happy and healthy. Mostly come out at night when no one is around to drink and explore.