I have a very significant amount of "forum experience", so I wanted to ask a community question about necro-threading.

In some communities, necro-threading is highly encouraged... and in others it is actually an offense worthy of an infraction, so I wanted to see which side of the fence BP.net was on. I'm a big fan of using the "search" feature (that's why it's there), but often the threads are really... REALLY old.

For those that are unaware of what necro-threading even is... it's the act of posting a new post in a thread that is over "xxx days old". Some communities have actual dates, so for example if a thread is over 6 months old, they want you to just start a new discussion. All of the data/info in that old thread is probably out of date, so just start a new one. Other communities want to keep the thread count down, so they say "I don't care if the last post in that thread is from 2005, just make a new post."

If/when I do necro-bump a thread, I will almost always post "I know this conversation is 2 years old, but ......" so that people realize that the conversation is being restarted after a long break.

Does BP.net have a policy on how I should ask clarifying questions to a thread which received its last post in 2013 (as an example). Should I start a new thread, or just post my question in the old one, and point out the thread is OLD?