Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Live prey vs.

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live prey

204 45.13%
  • Pre-killed prey

50 11.06%
  • Frozen/Thawed prey

177 39.16%
  • Doesn't matter

58 12.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Live prey vs......

Quote Originally Posted by Python-77
    I went with Prekilled since it is safer than live prey but 2 of my snakes will only take live prey to they eat live prey.
    yes Prekilled is safer
    A Time for Peace A Time for War

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strikerratt
    yes Prekilled is safer
    In my opinion ... responsible live feeding is just as safe as feeding pre-killed. I've been feeding live to many ball pythons for many years and have never had a single ball python bitten, scratched, or mauled.

Before we get our panties all twisted up, please note that I am only giving my OPINION based on the fairly decent amount of experience I have working with ball pythons and having tried feeding them live, frozen, and pre-killed.

Anyone that thinks live feeding is "dangerous" is certainly willing to stop by my shop any feeding day and watch a couple hundred live rats go "down the shoot" without incident

Again ... this is my OPINION ... breathe deep and get over it

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    In my opinion ... responsible live feeding is just as safe as feeding pre-killed. I've been feeding live to many ball pythons for many years and have never had a single ball python bitten, scratched, or mauled.

Before we get our panties all twisted up, please note that I am only giving my OPINION based on the fairly decent amount of experience I have working with ball pythons and having tried feeding them live, frozen, and pre-killed.

Anyone that thinks live feeding is "dangerous" is certainly willing to stop by my shop any feeding day and watch a couple hundred live rats go "down the shoot" without incident

Again ... this is my OPINION ... breathe deep and get over it

-adam
    good opinion

Thanks

I would definitely feed live if I could stand to breed the little boogers. All the threads reminded me how stinky they are. Thawing is a pain in the rear, added to the pain of having to sit there and dangle it for like 5-10 minutes (picky girls! - If the mouse isn't doing the right zombie mambo then they'll just wait until I get it right) but right now it's the easiest. No mousie cages to clean either.

Adam no twisted panties here!!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I would definitely feed live if I could stand to breed the little boogers. All the threads reminded me how stinky they are. Thawing is a pain in the rear, added to the pain of having to sit there and dangle it for like 5-10 minutes (picky girls! - If the mouse isn't doing the right zombie mambo then they'll just wait until I get it right) but right now it's the easiest. No mousie cages to clean either.
    That's why I always advocate feeding whatever is most convenient for both the snake and the keeper. For some people F/T is much better, for me, it's easier to do live. If done responsibly either method can be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    Adam no twisted panties here!!
    Don't get me started on panties Chrisite .... I'd definitely get myself in a WHOLE HEAP of trouble

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

If you feed live and supervise you should be fine.

I opt for p/k only because I feel better knowing I don't have to worry about bites.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and given responsible husbandry in the best interest of their herp should of course have the latitude to choose the approaches they feel are right for them whether that be housing, substrate or state of prey.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

I feed F/T only. There are 2 reasons for this

1. The local pet shop charges $4-7 for a rat and they never have anything large. So as you can see I can do much better on Frozen online.

2. Well I simply prefer frozen. No need to breed (I don’t think the wife would want me breeding rats) no need to go out and buy them, wasting even more time at a pet shop that doesn’t know the difference between a ball python and a red tail boa.

Live has its purpose, let’s not forget ball pythons don’t go to a freezer in the wild.

My recommendation is try to get your animals on F/T, but if they refuse and prefer live then give them live.
    Owner and Breeder of 6.27 Ball Pythons
    Owner of 1.3 Corns

Thanks

i am on my way to the Pet Store to get a small rat 4 the pb & a Pinkie mouse 4 corn snake so i will be giving a p/k to the pb so we will see how it gos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VFT
    1. The local pet shop charges $4-7 for a rat and they never have anything large. So as you can see I can do much better on Frozen online.
    There's no reason to ever feed a ball python a large rat no matter how big it is. My biggest girls (the monsters) only get small rats.

Also, I pay well under $1 a rat at the quantities I buy, so it's actually cheaper for me to buy live.

Do you know what a pain in the dumper it would be to thaw a couple hundred rodents each week? I don't even know where I'd lay them out???

Live has its purpose, let’s not forget ball pythons don’t go to a freezer in the wild.
    Exactly, ball pythons are instinctively live feeders. They have to be trained to eat dead prey. That's why for many people, F/T is out of the question.

My recommendation is try to get your animals on F/T, but if they refuse and prefer live then give them live.
    Exactly, feed you animal what it will eat.

-adam

Thanks

I'm so tempted to find out how MUCH trouble you could get yourself into Adam At the very least it would keep the mood light and I know I can always use a good laugh!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast