Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

2 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Feeding my new BP

Hi! I just got a baby BP five days ago, and I am ready to feed him for the first time. I am using tongs and a frozen fuzzy mouse (thawed), but I was wondering if there are any specific ways I should be giving him his food? I am feeding him in his enclosure since I hear that feeding him in a separate tank is too stressful. Also, is there a way to feed him so he won't accidentally eat any of the substrate (cypress mulch)?
    Lastly, since he was previously fed live food and I am switching him to frozen, should I be doing anything special to get him to eat? Thank you for the help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Feeding my new BP

First you should be giving the right prey size (mouse fuzzy are colubrid food), second if thé animal was previously fed live you should feed live, a prey equal the girth size, this feed in the enclosure.

Your priority is not to switch it is to get the animal to eat for you, swithing should be done when the animal is already well established.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-04-2016 at 11:08 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Personally I hold the mouse by the back scruff so the head is facing him and not dangling downwards. I also blow dry the head a little bit longer than the rest of the body. I found this to be really helpful for him to take it down head first. If you don't want him ingesting any substrate, you can put a paper towel down the area in the enclosure you plan to feed on.

I can't really help with the switching department since mine has always been on f/t. Goodluck!
    1.0 Coral Glow - Jumbi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbzapanda View Post
    Personally I hold the mouse by the back scruff so the head is facing him and not dangling downwards. I also blow dry the head a little bit longer than the rest of the body. I found this to be really helpful for him to take it down head first. If you don't want him ingesting any substrate, you can put a paper towel down the area in the enclosure you plan to feed on.

I can't really help with the switching department since mine has always been on f/t. Goodluck!
    Ok, thanks for the help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    First you should be giving the right prey size (mouse fuzzy are colubrid food), second if thé animal was previously fed live you should feed live, a prey equal the girth size, this feed in the enclosure.

Your priority is not to switch it is to get the animal to eat for you, swithing should be done when the animal is already well established.

If I shouldn't give him fuzzy, would you recommend hopper mice?
    Also, thanks for the help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Depends on the size of your snake ideal prey size is equal to the girth size (widest part of your BP'S body) until your snake is about 500 grams.

To give you an idea hatchling out of the egg are started on hoppers and quickly move up to size.

Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Ok, thanks for the info.

Thanks
    We blow dry the head a little longer so it's warmer and our girl can sense it. We dangle it by the tail in front of her and she strikes and squeezes it. It takes her 5-10 minutes after squeezing it, to get herself and the rat in the proper position to eat it head first. She's a goof and will sometimes try neck first or arm first, but she always eventually figures it out.
    1.0 hubby
    1.1 American Bulldog Cross (Moses, Olivia)
    0.1 Spider Ball Python (Yzma)
    0.1 BEL (Super Mojave) Ball Python (Willow)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Ripley)

Thanks

Haha yeah my snake Max just ate and he tried to eat it at an interesting angle at first...I tried the blow dryer and it seemed to work really well. Thanks!