Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

2 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Newbie!

Thanks

Help! Newbie!

Okay so we just got our first BP 2 weeks ago. We fed him a mouse the first day we got him and then we fed him again Sunday but we fed him 2 mice. Last week he was out and about every evening Slithering around and now the past couple days he has been in one of his hides and doesn't really come out. (Which is on the cold side of the tank.) We just got his temps and humidity figured out. He also has not pooped yet.
    Is something wrong with my little buddy? I'm kinda worried about him.

This is his set up. Could it be too big for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Sounds like he's content. I can't tell if you're feeding the proper prey size without knowing the size of your snake, but a full snake will stay in a hide for a few days to digest it's meal. They usually don't do a lot of exploring unless you put them in a new habitat, change something in their habitat, or unless they're hungry.

It's in their nature to hide most of the time. A happy ball python stays put for the most part.

It can also take them awhile to poop. Some snakes poop every week, others once a month. If he doesn't poop after a month you might want to consider feeding him bigger meals, but I'm betting he will soon.
    Last edited by the_rotten1; 09-02-2016 at 03:06 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (09-02-2016),PokeyTheNinja (09-02-2016)

Thanks

Re: Help! Newbie!

How do you heat your cage? What are you using to take temps? I can't really tell from pic but is there 2 hides?

You should feed your snake a rodent as big a round as the thickest part of your snake. Also I see you have what looks like a florescent light in there, balls don't need special lighting and to bright of white light can cause stress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would get a different hide for him, those half logs don't provide any security.
    Unless his prey is too small or he has some kind of health problem, he'll go when he goes. Mine didn't poop for 3 weeks, but was eating every four days.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We actually took the light out and only use it if we go in there to get him out. We have an UTH and a heat lamp to make temp. The little hide on the left were in his tank when we got him. We just recently just got the big tank and half log. He normally stays under the half log. Just in the past couple days he got in the log on the left and stays there

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeysnake612 View Post
    We actually took the light out and only use it if we go in there to get him out. We have an UTH and a heat lamp to make temp. The little hide on the left were in his tank when we got him. We just recently just got the big tank and half log. He normally stays under the half log. Just in the past couple days he got in the log on the left and stays there

Is your uth being controlled by a thermostat? How are you taking the temp of the uth? Is the heat bulb red or blue?

Also I agree that you should switch out the half log hide with something else. I used them before but my first snake wouldn't and then after I bought new ones he started to regulate his body temp. A good choice are reptile basics hides, they are dark, secure, and cheap. It's best to have 2 matching hides so the snake can't play favorites.

Thanks
    Are you feeding him a mouse or a rat? Mice are candy basically, not healthy for a growing BP, rat's are what he needs to be eating. Staying inside their hides is normal, they are nocturnal and not really a show animal. Also, two identical hides on ether side of the tank is best, so they don't pick a favorite hide. Logs aren't secure enough for them.
    https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Hide-...s=reptile+hide
    Here is a good hide, just pick a snug size for him so he feels secure enough.
    Reptimom.
    Bearded Dragons: 0.2 Normal (Mufasa), Normal (Norberta)
    Cat: 0.1 Tortoiseshell (Butterscotch)
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Ghost (Olympia)
    Hermit Crabs 1.1 Purple Pincher (Tyler), Purple Pincher (Londyn Raine)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptimom For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-02-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I really like those hides because they fit in tanks and bins, and are so easy to keep properly cleaned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    Is your uth being controlled by a thermostat? How are you taking the temp of the uth? Is the heat bulb red or blue?

Also I agree that you should switch out the half log hide with something else. I used them before but my first snake wouldn't and then after I bought new ones he started to regulate his body temp. A good choice are reptile basics hides, they are dark, secure, and cheap. It's best to have 2 matching hides so the snake can't play favorites.

I have a probe thermometer does the surface temp. The heat bulb is just the heat no light. He was staying in the half log.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptimom View Post
    Are you feeding him a mouse or a rat? Mice are candy basically, not healthy for a growing BP, rat's are what he needs to be eating. Staying inside their hides is normal, they are nocturnal and not really a show animal. Also, two identical hides on ether side of the tank is best, so they don't pick a favorite hide. Logs aren't secure enough for them.
    https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Hide-...s=reptile+hide
    Here is a good hide, just pick a snug size for him so he feels secure enough.
    Reptimom.
    I know they are nocturnal, but he was being real active at night but the past couple days he hasn't got out of the hide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast