Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Rat Miscarrying?

My husband and I are in the process of breeding our own rats for feeders on a smaller scale, and already had a 1.3 ratio going. A week ago we brought home a new female from our breeder who also breeds rats for his section of King snakes, indigos, etc.
    We noticed quickly after bringing her home that she was likely pregnant. She had a round tummy (but not as big as you'd think a full term belly was) and protruding nipples. She'd also begun nesting like crazy.... we sepetately her I'm her own enclosure to give her privacy, not knowing how far along she was exactly.
    Just today we noticed some blood in her bedding, and I thought "well this is it,here comes her litter". However what she passed was a circular blob, thay doesn't even remotely resemble a fetus in my opinion.... perhaps it was just very underdeveloped?
    She has now passed 3 identical blobs and continues to bleed. We've called the vets in our area and I was suprised to learn that only 2 of them accept rats for treatment, and they're closed for the evening. 😤😥

At this point we've been monitoring her, peaking our heads in every 10 minutes or so very quietly so as not to disturb her but intervene if necessary.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
    I realize her chances of producing any future litters for us at this point have very likely diminished to 0%, and even if she doesn't survive, we'd like to keep her comfortable however possible.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    I had it happen to a breeder a few months ago. Sadly even my vet couldnt help her

Wish you the best
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Rat Miscarrying?

The blobs you are talking about are the placenta (it's an inverted placenta sac with a disc), however if there is no babies she likely ate them which can be due to several things (cleaning up still born, diet that is not adequate, too old and not lactating etc)

When starting a feeder colony you should always get young rats (just weaned) and raise them up to optimum weight, by getting older rats you might get rats way passed their prime for breeding (the window of maximum/optimum production it not that long)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Deborah, thanks for the reply!
    Our confusion is that she is still passing placenta, and there's no sign of babies. Not as though she ate them, but as those she never passed any... we're pretty sure we caught her labor (or miscarrage) right as it began.

What would you advise at this point?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Rat Miscarrying?

Quote Originally Posted by VanSickel_Balls View Post
    Deborah, thanks for the reply!
    Our confusion is that she is still passing placenta, and there's no sign of babies. Not as though she ate them, but as those she never passed any... we're pretty sure we caught her labor (or miscarrage) right as it began.

What would you advise at this point?
    Let nature take it's course, there is nothing to be done. She will likely redound just fine, now will she produce, like I said if she is too old, she is probably passed her prime so I would retire her and start fresh with a new group of weaned rats and raise them up to breeding size.

When breeding rats their are few things you will deal with still born, birth canal obstruction (which leads to death), mammary tumors etc, sure you can seek veterinary help however when you breed feeders you don't spend $100's on animals that will be in your care for about a year to 18 months before being retired/culled, you just replace the with new breeders and retire/cull the one with issues. Now if those were pets that you were attached too it would be different.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Alright, thank you! That's actually a better outcome than I was hoping for! I'd love to be able to use her again after all this passes, if you think that's okay.