Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,726

2 members and 2,724 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Exclamation tank cracked snake's eyes are blue

My snakes eyes are blue they have been blue since friday I was out of town all weekend with my cousion taking care of him (my snake who has no name)when i came home sunday his eyes where still blue but his tank was also cracked very bad *sigh* (cats) I was going to wait to move him untill he was done sheding but as yesterday and today have passed the cracked is getting much much worse... I am starting to think that it may shatter and cut him or something. I had already had another home setup for him when he was done shedding, what would it hurt if I moved him now? The temps are perfect to help him finish his shedding. someone please let me know something so I can move him

annie bell

Thanks

Re: tank cracked snake's eyes are blue

I would move the snake. If the tank is getting worse and it looks like it could shatter at any time, that's much more of a risk to take than just having a bad shed. Just try to get the temps and humidity as appropriate as you can get them. Try to keep the cage setup the same as well so that it's somewhat familiar to him. Just my .02.
    0.2.0 Ball Python
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

You will be able to setup the same humidity in a short amount of time in the other tank as you did with the cracked one.

He should be just fine.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks

I would move him. He'll be fine. Heck, I bought my ball python when he was in blue. (Yeah, yeah, go figure I fell in love with the one I was holding. I had originally gone out there just to get a cage setup and to be sure I really wanted one).
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

I'd move the snake. Figure it's easier to deal with a poor shed then a snake badly cut or worse from a glass tank collapse.

Having prowling pet cats myself few ideas to put a stop to that other than locking up the cat in the evening.....fill a water pistol with water and place in fridge...in the evening sit quietly and if the cat approaches the snake enclosure nail it with an icey stream of cold water....very effective deterrent for most cats and in no way hurts them....also if the cat must climb to reach the snake...blow up some balloons and tape them to the area the cat must climb up...a few popped balloons usually scares the crap outta the most stubborn cat and again does not hurt your pet (other than clean up the popped balloons right away of course)...fill a pop can with rocks and tape the top...when kitty approaches the snake...shake can forcefully at the cat's rear end....again tends to make kitty jump and run....reinforcing the idea that the snake is just NOT worth harrassing.

I've done all of these with my cats and though they will go outside to hunt, they will NOT approach either our snake, our pet rats or our fish, all of which are in easy reach. Heck even when one of our hamsters got loose years ago the two cats literrally ran from it expecting one of the above deterrents to happen. Cats are NOT stupid LOL.

~~Joanna~~
    Last edited by frankykeno; 06-14-2005 at 07:48 AM.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I've also been told that if you take tape and put it sticky side out on the outside of the tank(making it's nowhere near your snake). The cat will not like sticking to it, and may start avoiding in the future.

Or, if you have a really stubborn cat like I do, and you have the space, put them behind closed doors. My cat thinks every other animal I own is a toy. The doors to the herp room and the inver room are always closed.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959