Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,419

2 members and 3,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    bamboo gene BP or more racks so i have plenty of room to buy/breed haha

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Splurge with $1,000? That's hardly a drop in the bucket. So far I think I've spent about $10,000 this year LOL. I just threw down $1,400 for a Pastel Desert Ghost male and a Pastel Spider Desert Ghost female (the female is already a year old). In a couple years when I start breeding them I'll get that money back in a jiffy! The more you spend the more you make when breeding snakes, it's an investment. I actually saw a 2200 gram Enchi Spider Pastel Desert Ghost female for sale that would pay out in the first year (if she laid eggs) but they wanted $4,200 for her, a bit out of my price range! Plus you would need a male, so that would be a $5,000 investment (you would get most if not all back in a year or two).

I actually bought a bunch of adult females that are ready to breed this year, including a bunch of normals and single / double gene females. I'm breeding those to a high end Co-com for a quick turn around, will probably only do that for the first year or two to start and then replace them with my pied stuff as I go. Also bought some female Clown / Lesser Clown hatchlings for the three year return on investment. Of course since I'm breeding snakes full time starting this year I have plenty of time to take care of all of my snakes and rodents. I have so much fun doing it I tell people that I don't work anymore LOL.

For an extra $1,000 I'd probably stock up on rat food and coconut husk bedding LOL.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-01-2017 at 07:24 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Custom enclosure wall. 2 1/2 feet from the wall with random widths to have sort of a reptile gallery.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: How would You Splurge $1,000 in Reptile

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Splurge with $1,000? That's hardly a drop in the bucket. So far I think I've spent about $10,000 this year LOL. I just threw down $1,400 for a Pastel Desert Ghost male and a Pastel Spider Desert Ghost female (the female is already a year old). In a couple years when I start breeding them I'll get that money back in a jiffy! The more you spend the more you make when breeding snakes, it's an investment. I actually saw a 2200 gram Enchi Spider Pastel Desert Ghost female for sale that would pay out in the first year (if she laid eggs) but they wanted $4,200 for her, a bit out of my price range! Plus you would need a male, so that would be a $5,000 investment (you would get most if not all back in a year or two).

I actually bought a bunch of adult females that are ready to breed this year, including a bunch of normals and single / double gene females. I'm breeding those to a high end Co-com for a quick turn around, will probably only do that for the first year or two to start and then replace them with my pied stuff as I go. Also bought some female Clown / Lesser Clown hatchlings for the three year return on investment. Of course since I'm breeding snakes full time starting this year I have plenty of time to take care of all of my snakes and rodents. I have so much fun doing it I tell people that I don't work anymore LOL.

For an extra $1,000 I'd probably stock up on rat food and coconut husk bedding LOL.
    Not necessarily true about the comment of 'the more you spend, the more you make snake breeding'. The average consumer isnt going to spend $2000+ on a snake as a pet. The people that spend that kind of cash are usually other breeders. If you are in the hobby to try and get rich, you will be disappointed. From the boa morphs, what i have noticed is to make the 'real cash', you need to grow the snakes fast, breed fast and unload the babies fast. Then work with that until other breeders start to catch up, then you need to dump and move onto the next big morph and rinse and repeat. Kind of irritates me really as boas need to be slow grown.

But anyways, from what i have seen, most of the big cash snakes are sold between breeders. Look at Scoria boas. Henry Piorun was the only one breeding them for a long time and he was charging around $25000 a pair. A lot of people are now breeding them in the states and Henry's price has come down to $19000 a pair now. Give it a few years and it will drop more as Scoria is a dom trait. Recessives are where i see money being made or in the case of boas, local stuff. Peruvian BCCs are still going for $800-1000 and nice surinames are $600. Those are much more budget friendly to the average consumer.

Anyways, good luck on your breeding projects. Ball pythons is a very saturated market. Now if you are doing it for the fun of just seeing what you get and stuff, then cheers, thats the way it should be
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Ars rack!

Thanks

A good female pastel or enchi pied, a v-100 herpstat, and put any remaining aside to save up for the eventual AP cage for when the snake was older
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I’d add lighting and RHPs to some of my caging... as far as the money would go
    OR
    I’d do an electrical upgrade in my snake room.

most likely the electrical work...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Animal plastics PVC cages, decked out with cool hides and fancy thermostats for ALL MY SNAKES! oh wait, it is only $1000. Nevermind, I would just get a really nice RB Vivarium rack, and a new designer female for breeding. Probably another pied combo.

Thanks

Emergency fund.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-02-2017),zina10 (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Put it in a piggy bank towards a Pastel Leopard Desert Ghost female
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast