Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,026

0 members and 3,026 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leopard?

Thanks

Re: Leopard?

Quote Originally Posted by STjepkes View Post
    Pattern first, but also by color. There are a couple different "looks" out there, but Leopard almost always gives a very distinguishable pattern; some more banded, and lighter colored, some with extreme connecting "alien heads." There is also a really consistent palette of color in their markings. If you look at the side of a normal there will be a variety of colors in the sides - varied browns, and a speckling of black and sometimes white. They also gain more black on the sides as they age. The Leopard doesn't really do that. It's all one very consistent color in their "alien heads."

Sorry if that's not the best technical description. I may have a much better eye than I do teaching skills, but when Leo is present it is absolutely and immediately evident to me. Just as it is with your male there

I'd recommend just exposing yourself to as many photos as possible until your eye catches on a bit more. Here's a couple Leos we have over here.
    Awesome info sir!! Thank you very much!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHPythons View Post
    Thank you! Without sounding redundant, what would you say is the best way to distinguish a good leopard?
    for a single gene Leopard? IMO busy, connecting patterns. it seems to be what peeps prefer when buying one. also a bright pattern on a dark background.

Quote Originally Posted by STjepkes View Post
    Wow I'm surprised people aren't seeing it. As someone who has produced my fair share of Leopards and combos I can guarantee you that is a Leopard, and looks like a nice one to me. Nice pick up! The other snake you posted is also a Leopard lol
    hey u know these Leopards?

i saw them when i visited Hewitt, probably last year i think. they were so cute.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

STjepkes (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    That's crazy! I had to do a double take for a second haha. Thanks for sharing, Ax!

Thanks
    I should have sold those online or kept them. That female Leopard and male Pastel Leopard are 50% possible het Pied Clown. And not pictured here because she went fast was a neat, really reduced pattern Leopard female who I'm now almost certain was het pied.

The silly things we do.
    Last edited by STjepkes; 09-15-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks
    Would this little guy qualify as a Leopard? The seller is a smaller breeder, who seems to be straightforward and honest (I checked BOI). I ask because I'm only two months into my BP addiction. Additional genetic question: If both of his parents are het pied, and there were visual pieds in his clutch, would that make him 66% poss het pied?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Would this little guy qualify as a Leopard? The seller is a smaller breeder, who seems to be straightforward and honest (I checked BOI). I ask because I'm only two months into my BP addiction. Additional genetic question: If both of his parents are het pied, and there were visual pieds in his clutch, would that make him 66% poss het pied?
    Yes, that's definitely a Leopard. Yes a hetxhet pairing would make him 66% het Piebald. And there's never any guarantees, but I'd say based on what I can see of his pattern there's a decent chance he is.
    Last edited by STjepkes; 09-17-2016 at 08:51 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to STjepkes For This Useful Post:

Sallos (09-17-2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123