Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,444

2 members and 3,442 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Pet Store Or Breeder

I have had my eyes on a redtail the has been at the local petstore for some time but Im leaning more tored getting a snake from a breeder instead of paying what they want for a RTB. So what do you all think i should do I have a friend at the petstore that has a gravid female RTB and he said he would give me one for no charge. Should i wait the long time or just get one at a petstore or order Online ? THanks P.S or should i go with a suggest breeder of your choices? Thanks Aaron
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks

Re: Pet Store Or Breeder

Man, for the opertunity to get a "free" RTB I would have to say wait, this way the money you planned on spending on him can go to maybe a larger enclosure or otehr supplies.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Depends. I'll never buy from a petstore again after my ball python came with a free case of mites and was fed live mice (resulting in multiple scars that prevent him from shedding well).

If you want to go with a breeder I would suggest going to Fauna Classifieds and looking at the Boa classifieds there. They have some good deals and you can check if the breeder is reputable at the same time!

If you want to buy from a pet store...I suggest paying exceptional attention to how they take care of their snakes and animals in general. Are their tanks/whatever they're kept in clean? I'd check out the gravid female and see how she looks- does she look healthy and is she kept properly?

Just my opinion of course.

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello well I don't really care for the shape they keep the animals in really, and the snake is pretty dry for going into shed. I can't see the gravid female she is at the guys house. SO i can't see what she lookes like or anything, so should i go ahead and order the snake i want online? Also what is good to keep them in i heard people keeping them in Toughts and should i take the snake out to feed and how would i go about feeding when adult? Also how do you tell if the snake is getting plunty to eat because i have heard you have to feed the snake what they want?
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks

Some pet stores are good and some are bad. I happen to work at a pet store and we only sell herps that are healthy, eating, and parasite free. The cages are cleaned every day and we spot clean throughout the day if any badness shows up in them (real fun when there are 20 baby beardies in a 75 gal)! However, I think we are the exception to the rule...

I say wait on the free neonate...its awesome to raise a hatchling/neonate into a gentle giant, unless you just want something big to show off to your friends right now (not saying you, theres just a lot of ppl out there like that).
    -Brad

Thanks

i'll second that brad! your store is an exception. lang doesn't get imported junk and that's good. all in all i'd prefer to deal direct with a breeder and if possible see the facility and parents. plus with a good breeder your buying knowledge and help! you can find all kinds of animals everywhere, good passionate breeders are less common than the snakes.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

hi,
    I have bought a few boa's from this breeder he has some aw some boa's that are clean feeding well, only on fresh thawed. This prevents disease and parasites in the snakes. Many are the end results of considerable breeding effort and even his commons are leaning towards pastel.
    Doug

http://www.redtailboas.com/index-3.php
    BP's the better mousetrap