Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

1 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Maternally Incubating - Concerned about Disturbing Female to Feed Her

I've read some great info on this forum regarding maternally incubating a clutch. From what I've read it seems that feeding females who are maternally incubating is ok. Some will eat, some will not. This is my first clutch so I'm a bit paranoid about disturbing the natural process.

I bred a pastel male and a spider female. The mom spider is young (right around 3 years old) but she was fat and very healthy when she laid a clutch of 7 eggs. She is clearly hungry now however, I'm concerned about disturbing her by taking her out of the enclosure to feed her (frozen) in a separate large container (which I normally do.)

BIG NOTE: I also can't move her easily without disturbing her clutch because she is incubating in a nice cozy shelter inside the enclosure that she is filling up with her coils. I'm worried the eggs will roll/move if I move the shelter and take her out to feed her.

If I don't feed her it will have been about 3 1/2 months since this first-time mom will have eaten.

Questions:
    1. With my info above should I just thaw a small rat and leave it in the enclosure *outside* of the protective shelter she's in? Note: male is now in separate cage.
    2. Could she hurt an egg by striking at the thawed rat?
    3. Also, if she eats I'm assuming she'll get back on the egg clutch...?
    4. The temp is good (85-88F on clutch, 83F ambient) and the humidity is ok - should I not risk this and just let her be hungry until they hatch?

Much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    From the only pic of a female eating while incubating they offered it to her right where she was on the eggs and she ate without even uncoiling from them. But I've never tried it myself.

Thanks

Re: Maternally Incubating - Concerned about Disturbing Female to Feed Her

I fed her immediately after she was done incubating her eggs and I removed the unpipped eggs from her to finish off on their own. During her incubation period I avoided messing with her at all. This made about 9 months of her not eating in total. She took the food immediately, and has been a decent feeder since. I honestly am having a hard time convincing myself to not breed her again, considering she already (3 feedings) has put back on the weight from before I started breeding last.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

hatchcrab (08-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hatchcrab View Post
    I by taking her out of the enclosure to feed her (frozen) in a separate large container (which I normally do.)
    Why do this?
    There is no need to feed her in a seperate container ever. It will only add stress.
    If you feed while incubating feed in her tank.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks

I honestly wouldn't suggest removing your snake from her eggs at all, unless you intend to artificially incubate. I have never seen my female more upset with me than when I removed her to count her eggs. And I have never seen her more psychologically distraught than when I did that. Her immediate reaction was to keep moving toward the tub, dodge my hand and hiss, and keep moving toward the tub. I felt horrible.

Pretty much everything that happens she will try and get back to her clutch. If you are going to feed, as said before just offer her food while she is on the clutch. Personally I will continue to maternally incubate, won't offer them food while they do so, and will remove them only once to count the eggs. Additionally during the pre-lay shed I will remove all bedding and put in fresh bedding, then not even bother to clean it more than spot-cleaning, if necessary. I loved maternal incubation, but I am going to mess with the snake as little as possible unless absolutely necessary. My own curiosity cost her a baby (she reacted and I'm sure that is what broke its neck), and honestly I would hate to ever remove the snake's eggs because of the stress generated by counting, and removal to finish incubation artificially.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

hatchcrab (08-30-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    This made about 9 months of her not eating in total.
    How old/large was your female when she went that long without eating?

I've had other pythons that went upwards of 10 months without eating - I know they can do it but I'm curious if yours was a larger snake.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StillBP View Post
    Why do this?
    There is no need to feed her in a seperate container ever. It will only add stress.
    If you feed while incubating feed in her tank.
    Fair question... these 2 snakes are technically my 10 year old daughter's snakes so my feeling is that by feeding them outside of their environment they would never expect that when I (or she) reach my hands in I'm potentially feeding them. It's never been an issue I just put them in a large storage bin, dangle a thawed frozen rodent in front of them and put them back in their terrarium after they eat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    I honestly wouldn't suggest removing your snake from her eggs at all, unless you intend to artificially incubate. I have never seen my female more upset with me than when I removed her to count her eggs. And I have never seen her more psychologically distraught than when I did that. Her immediate reaction was to keep moving toward the tub, dodge my hand and hiss, and keep moving toward the tub. I felt horrible.
    Wow - good advice based on experience for sure. That's my gut - to not mess with her. It's just tough because she was/is such a good eater and I know she's hungry. That being said I've had snakes in the past just stop eating for many months (a move to Chicago from Miami caused it in a big bad way!)

I suppose I should play it on the safe side and not feed then.

I wish I had put more bedding down right after that last shed. The eggs are currently on the glass because she's dug so deep. There is an under-mount heating pad but it's just off the to the side so I don't think it's over heating them. The temp is between 87-90 in the clutch so I'm thinking all is well.

Thanks for the advice.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

IMO I would just leave her be till they hatch. Just keep the humidity up as high as you can and fresh water. When I bred my female she went from November till May(7 months) be starting to eat again. Both my fire/spider and Bee went 9months with out eating.

I wish I had put more bedding down right after that last shed. The eggs are currently on the glass because she's dug so deep. There is an under-mount heating pad but it's just off the to the side so I don't think it's over heating them. The temp is between 87-90 in the clutch so I'm thinking all is well.

I hope you have a THERMOSTAT with the UTH!!
    Last edited by blk02ssmonte; 08-27-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    Snakes
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Het Clown/Ghost
    1.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown
    1.1 Pied
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Fire/Spider
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Pastave
    1.0 Albino Snow Corn
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blk02ssmonte For This Useful Post:

hatchcrab (08-30-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatchcrab View Post
    How old/large was your female when she went that long without eating?

I've had other pythons that went upwards of 10 months without eating - I know they can do it but I'm curious if yours was a larger snake.

Thanks for the reply.
    No longer have a working scale. It died in the last few years and I didn't replace it. She's easily like 2.5-3kg so I can't use my kitchen scale. Unlike on the babies. In total the birth weights of all her babies amount up to 1.5-2 of the rats I feed her. Even with going to the bathroom she definitely looks as big as she did before breeding. And she's probably going to grow a bit more before breeding season.

She's about 7 years old and has eaten regularly in that time (10-30% her body weight monthly, depending how often she wanted to eat) and this was her first time breeding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast