Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

1 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pied Clutch Problem - Only Two babies left!

So here's the story. I breed my Pastel Pied female to my Black Pastel Het pied male and got five fertile eggs. Flash forward 54 days and I could tell there was a problem with 3 of them. I cut them open and all three babies were completely developed (albeit about a week short of ready to hatch) and dead. The inside of those three eggs were milky and the babies had their patterns but were a grayish color. All three looked like normals but could have been black pastel or pewter. Their color was too washed out to tell.

I was really depressed so I decided to cut the other two eggs the same day. Thankfully my luck turned around and the other two eggs contained high white pied babies that are alive! However, the liquid in both eggs is a greenish color. From the moment I cut them open it was light green. Now I think it's getting darker green. Today is day 56. The babies still look fine and move when I touch their egg but I am really nervous I'm going to lose them too.

Has anyone had this happen before? Is this green color normal? They don't smell at all and the liquid is still clear.

Thanks

Re: Pied Clutch Problem - Only Two babies left!

search the forum for "green eggs" or something along those lines. I can remember at least 2 posts on this problem before.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    - The Grove Reptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Green is not normal. I'm not sure what it's a sign of though. I hope they make it!

Thanks
    So according to this thread it is lethal. http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...candling-green

Do I just have to wait and hope the snakes come out before this problem kills them? It's day 57 and they look fine in the egg. This is killing me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Seems like those ones weren't as far along as yours is. I don't think you can 'help' them right I think you just need to be on stand by to see if they start to peek out. If they crawl out and have yolk attached that they can't absorb then you can use dental floss to tie off the cord and place them in a deli cup with wet paper towels until it comes off. Good luck!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-23-2016),Fraido (08-23-2016),Kroberts10 (08-23-2016),tyharp (08-23-2016)

Thanks
    I don't think there is a lot you can do for them at this point. If you try to remove them from there eggs it may cause more harm than good. I hope they make it. Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

tyharp (08-23-2016)

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Put a bottle of saline solution in your incubator. Wait a few hours while the bottle of saline reaches the temperature of your incubator. Once the saline is the same temperature as that of the incubator, you could use the saline solution to flush out the green fluid. You will probably have to flush every day, but it is something that should allow you to minimize the bad fluid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

tyharp (08-23-2016)

Thanks
    Well I hate to even post this but I know people will be interested. Got home and one was dead. Tangled in it's umbilical cord. I know there was nothing I could do. It clearly developed tangled. The cord was tight against it's tail and was pinched. Just plain bad luck. It was a black pastel pied too. The one snake I was going for.

The other is still in it's egg, alive, but doesn't respond to prodding and looks close to dying. It's a pastel pied. I'm so depressed...

Thanks

Re: Pied Clutch Problem - Only Two babies left!

Wow, thats rough.. Sorry. How far off is the actual hatch date now? Damn, wonder if would hurt if you intervened w the other to try to save it.. Meaning tied off cord and cut. Anyone else have any ideas?? I know we have alot of experienced ppl out here...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeanne; 08-23-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Today is day 57. So I would say hatch day is around now. I have no idea what is best. If it is already weak would cutting it off the yolk be exactly the opposite of helpful?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast