Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

2 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Blood/Short-tails

I haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for on the Google's so I thought I'd ask here, and it's only a question out of curiosity.

I've taken an interest in the Short-tails but whenever I look them up the adults seem massive in girth. I know they are a thick snake but some of them, especially the blood pythons, look like giant slugs. Are they supposed to look like you can roll them down a hillside? Or is it possible that they are just too easy to overfeed?

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    They are thick bodied snakes but that being said they are easy to over feed from what I could gather talking to people I know that own them. I got a male a week ago and he's a baby so I am trying to figure out the best feeding schedule for him so he doesn't end up over weight. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer too.
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Cinnamon Pewter (Deadshot)
    0.1 Normal (Katana)
    0.1 Vanilla Butter Banana Spider (Enchantress)
    1.0 Ivory (Orochimaru)
    1.0 Banana (Sunset)
    1.0 Pied (Soul)
    0.1 Lemonblast (Velvet Rose)
    0.1 Black Widow (Maka)

Other Critters:
    1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python (Itachi)
    1.0 Columbian boa (Kyo)
    0.2 Leopard Tortoise (Aurora and Belle)
    1.0 Boxer/Shepard (Oliver)
    0.1 Corgi/Poodle (Jasmine)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AriSilvermoon For This Useful Post:

Tash (08-22-2016)

Thanks

Re: Blood/Short-tails

Quote Originally Posted by AriSilvermoon View Post
    They are thick bodied snakes but that being said they are easy to over feed from what I could gather talking to people I know that own them. I got a male a week ago and he's a baby so I am trying to figure out the best feeding schedule for him so he doesn't end up over weight. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer too.
    Congrats on the new addition. I've been itching for a new snake. Not sure if it will be a short-tail or not though. I feel like I don't know enough about them to pick one up just yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tash For This Useful Post:

AriSilvermoon (08-22-2016)

Thanks

Bloods and short tails are nice chubby snakes with that said they are good at eating, my babies started with 2 F/T Rat pups and as they grow you want to see the girth, 2 years later mine are eating small Rats now. Last nite I feed my Snakes kids and my Borneo Short Tail is really in the Blue but he didn't let not being able to see bother him and found his Rat and had his meal. I do know the Females get larger than the males. Now the nice thing they don't poop for months but when they do its a big one. My Sarge went 6 months before he left me a surprize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady mkrj58 View Post
    Bloods and short tails are nice chubby snakes with that said they are good at eating, my babies started with 2 F/T Rat pups and as they grow you want to see the girth, 2 years later mine are eating small Rats now. Last nite I feed my Snakes kids and my Borneo Short Tail is really in the Blue but he didn't let not being able to see bother him and found his Rat and had his meal. I do know the Females get larger than the males. Now the nice thing they don't poop for months but when they do its a big one. My Sarge went 6 months before he left me a surprize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    That is actually my biggest worry. I don't care about getting bit, it comes with the territory. It's all these stories I keep hearing about these massive explosions every 6 months. Lol

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    They are a big bodied snake but it depends greatly on how heavily fed they are too, like all species there are no shortage of overweight ones being kept. They should be smaller at the head and tail and not completely round in shape. I feed my 1.5 year old borneos every 2 weeks and my 2 & 3 year old short tails every 3 weeks. Will probably move the older ones to monthly when they size up in feeders again. Under a year I feed weekly. I keep mostly males that ideally will stay around 10-15 pounds but females usually a bit bigger.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

AriSilvermoon (08-22-2016),Tash (08-23-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes, they are heavy bodied, but a LOT of them are overweight or obese. With how slow of metabolisms they have, they don't need nearly as much as some people think. I try to shoot for the widest area about a third of the way down, and a taper starting about a third from the tail. If they are not coiled tightly, I don't want to see rolls. Also, when laying on a flat surface, the spine should be visible, but not sunken around it.

I have to admit that my Sumatran Short Tail girl is on the chunkier side - she has the craziest feeding response and I hate when she's hitting the glass because she smells food for the others.

14 yr old male - my ideal for body weight

14 yr old female - good body weight

6 yr old female - thin, post egg laying

11 yr old female SST - on the chunky side for my taste
    Last edited by aahmn; 08-22-2016 at 07:58 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

AriSilvermoon (08-22-2016),Fraido (08-22-2016),GoingPostal (08-22-2016),Prognathodon (08-24-2016),Tash (08-23-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aahmn View Post
    Yes, they are heavy bodied, but a LOT of them are overweight or obese. With how slow of metabolisms they have, they don't need nearly as much as some people think. I try to shoot for the widest area about a third of the way down, and a taper starting about a third from the tail. If they are not coiled tightly, I don't want to see rolls. Also, when laying on a flat surface, the spine should be visible, but not sunken around it.

I have to admit that my Sumatran Short Tail girl is on the chunkier side - she has the craziest feeding response and I hate when she's hitting the glass because she smells food for the others.

14 yr old male - my ideal for body weight

14 yr old female - good body weight

6 yr old female - thin, post egg laying

11 yr old female SST - on the chunky side for my taste
    Yes! See those snakes look attractive to me.

Thanks

shes on the thinner side

male on the thicker side but a great breeder

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

AriSilvermoon (08-28-2016),Fraido (08-28-2016),Tash (08-28-2016)